Stock air cleaner insanity on my C5

scottcolbath

I'm losing my friggin' mind. I just did the water pump on the car. I'm on the last thing. Tossing the stock air cleaner back in its stock location. It won't go in. I thought maybe the filter (Not a K&N, just a Fram replacement), was getting loose and caught on something. Nope. I now have it taped into the filter holder, so when I slide it in the housing, it will not fall out of the holder. It looks like it needs to go about another 1/4 inch in, and that's it. Nothing seems to be in the way. It's not fitting evenly on both sides. I can't pull the clamps down. Pics coming. Not sure what else to say about this, the than I'm annoyed, and I'm sure it's something stupid I am overlooking.

S.C.

IMG_20180212_155553296-XL.jpg

IMG_20180212_155627327-XL.jpg

IMG_20180212_155642588-XL.jpg

IMG_20180212_155657771-XL.jpg

So there it is. No idea why it won't seat down like it has every other time I have removed/replaced the air cleaner. One thing to note is that I did remove the air bridge when doing the water pump, but nothing in the actual air cleaner air box area was disturbed.......Or so I'm thinking. 

S.C.

BTW, don't yell at me about the dirt. In the divorce, the wife keeps the truck until she finalizes all the money grabbing that left me broke. So, I've been stuck driving the car every day for three months. :banghead

S.C.

1 hour ago, Blk n Blu said:

It looks like the filters not seated, right filter?

PS, no excuses for dirtyness.

It sure fit like the right filter for the last few months. I have no friggin' idea why it's decided to no longer fit.

And I wish I had time to clean under the hood right now, but divorce, work, and having to drive it all the time has taken its toll. It will get sanitized soon enough.

S.C.

Just looks like to box isn't opening enough to allow the sucker to slide in and lay flat.  I've been there, you fiddle for awhile and then the sucker falls into place, one time it was the head of the clamp wedged between the housing the hood of the car and the box wouldn't open up wide enough.  Take the clamps fully back and then fiddle with the box from the front of the car, see if you can get the box to articulate open a bit more and the filter to nest in flush

B&B, no, not yet.

CMSH, I'll check that out next. Right now, I have a bunch of goddamm duct tape over the gaps, just so I have a car to drive.

BTW, When I did the water pump, I went with a 190 thermostat, replacing the 165, believing that the 165 was doing nothing more than delaying the inevitable climb in temp to whatever it would be above 165. Well, I was wrong. The fucking car runs at 200 now in this cool weather, where in the past it was running at 185/190. So, I'll be picking up a fresh 165 to toss back in there.

S.C.

200 is normal operating temp. Mentally it goes against what is old guys have always known but unless you're looking to practice swapping stats I'd leave it alone and save your knuckles for another battle 

but thats just me

"Normal" is a setting on a washing machine. :P

There are obviously different ranges of "normal" based on specific vehicle, engine, thermostat, etc.

My 2001 C5 (LS1) ran 180/198 winter/summer.  I remember that "198" because it seemed so weird (and I was very happy) that is as hot as it ever got in the summer.

My 2014 C7 (LT1) ran 220 in the winter, 235+ in the summer.  Never did get accustomed to seeing that. 

Current 2012 C6 (LS3) runs 185/200 winter/summer.   If I saw 200+ this time of year, that would make me a bit nervous.  But that is just me. . .

Do what makes YOU comfortable!

It's consistently running at 199-205. I'm not messing with it. That is the new normal.

S.C.

8 hours ago, scottcolbath said:

It's consistently running at 199-205. I'm not messing with it. That is the new normal.

S.C.

That's right where mine runs and always has

On 2/16/2018 at 5:37 AM, TheCMSH said:

That's right where mine runs and always has

The thing about it that now bugs me, is the fan coming on more often. Almost makes me want to go back to the 165.

S.C.

So, I pulled the entire air cleaner assembly, reassembled it out of the car, and it all went together perfectly. But, the straps/clamps don't stay locked down. They could be worn out. I've heard that happens. So, I put one piece of duct tape over each clamp to keep them down, tossed the entire assembly back in as one unit, put the air bridge back on, and it's all good for now.

I'll still need to get the clamp situation sorted out. But at least it's all together as it should be.

S.C.