NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Arrrggh, I'm An Idiot!

Guest 1FASTC4

Guest 1FASTC4

I replaced a valve cover last night. An inspection after the test drive today revealed the there was a small leak on the upper middle of the seal(you know, where the valve cover meets intake) and that I had positioned my #1 spark plug wire incorrectly and burned it as a result. At over $100.00 for the set, this was a bit upsetting. Can you buy individual replacement wires? I'm thinking.... no.

But wait, there's more!

I had left the valve cover bolts at somewhat less than super tight. I decided to tighten them in hopes of stopping the leak. I very promptly overtightened one of the bolts and snapped it off, right at the point where the bolt goes into the head.

Arrrgghhh ! :banghead

Thank you for allowing me to vent. Laugh at me if you like, I'm the dummy that did it.

I knew I should have let Brenna do it!

What type of wires are you using? You may be able to buy bulk wire depending on the brand. I use Accel 300+ race wire and you can buy bulk racing wire if needed. Use an easyout on the bolt, they don't need to be that tight if you snapped it. :huh

Guest 1FASTC4
What type of wires are you using? You may be able to buy bulk wire depending on the brand. I use Accel 300+ race wire and you can buy bulk racing wire if needed. Use an easyout on the bolt, they don't need to be that tight if you snapped it. :huh

I had a really long extension on the ratchet.... misjudged the tightness....... I know.... I'm a dummy!

Guest UVETTYA

A little epoxy on the end of the broken bolt... stick it back in the hole and DONE! :yesnod

Just joking. Sorry. I couldn't resist.

You'll have to use an easy out to get it out. A magnetic base drill will help. Position it over the center of the screw and very gently drill it out until you can get an easy out in there. What size is the bolt?

Steve

Guest 1FASTC4
You'll have to use an easy out to get it out. A magnetic base drill will help. Position it over the center of the screw and very gently drill it out until you can get an easy out in there. What size is the bolt?

Steve

Hey Steve, sorry I missed this. The bolt is only about 1/4" across and very long... 4".

Joe at Classic is adding a couple of things to the car, finishing touches really... and he is going to take care of it for me.

Steve