NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Need Muffler Bearings....

anmracing

So, as some of you guys know, we pulled the clutch out of the imaginary car. As we pulled the mufflers to get the exhaust dropped, we found that they have a suspicious 'full of sand' sound. :willy So, new mufflers are on my Christmas list. And since the exhaust was welded together from scraps of every known diameter (thanks Bubba), I'll be asking for that as well from Santa Andrew.

Andrew wants to go with headers and louder mufflers. I would be happy with just louder mufflers and 2.5" pipe. What say you people? Keep in mind that we don't have a big budget....

M~

Guest Steve Mulvey
So, as some of you guys know, we pulled the clutch out of the imaginary car. As we pulled the mufflers to get the exhaust dropped, we found that they have a suspicious 'full of sand' sound. :willy So, new mufflers are on my Christmas list. And since the exhaust was welded together from scraps of every known diameter (thanks Bubba), I'll be asking for that as well from Santa Andrew.

Andrew wants to go with headers and louder mufflers. I would be happy with just louder mufflers and 2.5" pipe. What say you people? Keep in mind that we don't have a big budget....

M~

Headers don't make power, but sound better... I am having my car redone with long tube headers and 40 Flows as we speak... The muffler shop is Scottsdale muffler...

:thumbs

Have you considered the factory side exhaust??

It was an option in '71 and it seems like THE sound everyone loves!!

Pretty expensive, and you still have to deal with the exhaust tip cutouts in the rear facia??

LT-1 4 sp Vert w/side exhaust!!

How Sweet would that sound..................:thumbs:thumbs

You can shoot me later Andrew :lol:lol

Ken

I have to agree on the side exhaust. If not that talk to Mike/Chad and see what they can do. Even if you have them to the fabricating and a bunch of us could do the install. Just a thought!

Edit: Ebay is your friend BB Side Exhaust

do NOT get side pipes. The drone will kill you. Ridden in 2 vetts with them. Hated it.

Headers do make more power, near the top end. The factory manfolds make more TQ near the lower end of RPM.

No need to go any bigger than 2 1/2" pipe. I live the flow master 40 sound. that is what I would suggest.

I ALLWAYS go to a small-hole-in-wall-shop called Muffler master. They could bang out the 71' for around $300 to $350 including 2 mufflers and tips.

2 cts

Pretty expensive, and you still have to deal with the exhaust tip cutouts in the rear facia??

Ken

Ken, believe me that sidepipes are my most fave option, and Andrew would love it too :driving: ....but the burns on my calves would be an issue...

Chad, where the heck is this hole in the wall joint? I've been debating buying the pipes online but I'd do a set locally if the price and timing is right. And how long ago was yours done?

M~

I have to agree on the side exhaust. If not that talk to Mike/Chad and see what they can do. Even if you have them to the fabricating and a bunch of us could do the install. Just a thought!

Ahem-a bunch of us do the install? :bang That's pretty funny! I'll have Andrew post the date for the install if we decide to do it ourselves-

I'm pretty sure we're doing the clutch install this Saturday, so anyone who wants to supervise should feel free to stop by and 'point the way'. I'll make sure the beer fridge is stocked with Bud/Corona and gatorade/water.

M~

Ken

Ken, believe me that sidepipes are my most fave option, and Andrew would love it too :driving: ....but the burns on my calves would be an issue...

Chad, where the heck is this hole in the wall joint? I've been debating buying the pipes online but I'd do a set locally if the price and timing is right. And how long ago was yours done?

M~

You shouldn't burn your calves with heat shields. As for drone, with OD tranny I could see it, but our cars auto or stick, turn at such a high RPM compared to a car with OD that drone shouldn't be much of a problem. I get a little drone out of my patriot sidepipes, but not much. With tops off, I get 0 drone. Not to mention my 72 will only see 2-3k miles a year if that.

You shouldn't burn your calves with heat shields.

Keith you are far more agile than the AnM gang! We'd still be a mess-trust me on this one.

M~

Keith you are far more agile than the AnM gang! We'd still be a mess-trust me on this one.

M~

Ejection seats, pop you right out of that thing, Mark should be able to hook you up.

• 3 weeks later...

M~

Ejection seats, pop you right out of that thing, Mark should be able to hook you up.

I like the ejection seat idea but with my luck, I would forget to put the top down first......

Andrew