NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Radiator Cleaning Tool

Grape Ape

I saw Ted gave away a radiator cleaning tool and I was wondering if anyone has one, could you possibly post a picture and a brief assembly instruction of how you made it so people can make one for themselves? Pretty sure some of you have one in your arsenal and I'm going to need one also soon. I haven't cleaned mine for quite a while now and it's starting to show signs of running warmer then it use to. I'm going to be changing the radiator out this fall anyway but want to the tool for future cleaning. Just thought I'd ask since there's a new post about over heating and the vacuum effect of some of these cars.

There's a couple in this thread. Apparently I also need to migrate my Photobucket files onto a new host and get this post out of archive.

I'm the one who got Teds magic wand. Your more than welcome to use it if you want to come by and pick it up. I live near 91st ave and Beardsley. Cell # 623-225-5733

3 hours ago, theChad said:

There's a couple in this thread. Apparently I also need to migrate my Photobucket files onto a new host and get this post out of archive.

That's the thread I got the idea from. Figured some other people might like to maybe make one also is the reason I posted this thread.

2 hours ago, JacksAO said:

I'm the one who got Teds magic wand. Your more than welcome to use it if you want to come by and pick it up. I live near 91st ave and Beardsley. Cell # 623-225-5733

Yours/Ted's is also the reason I want to make my own. If you don't mind could you post a picture or 3 of the one you got from Ted with some measurements if possible? Maybe some closeups of the fittings and On/Off end and how the middle is made? Would really appreciate it if you could. I also saw that Sean made one as well so maybe he will post some info from his as well.

I was blessed with Charlie's when he moved. 1/2" copper 3' long, he soldered a female garden hose fitting on one end and a copper cap on the other. He cut a 1 1/2" long kerf in the end with a hacksaw. Brilliant in its simplicity

2 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

I was blessed with Charlie's when he moved. 1/2" copper 3' long, he soldered a female garden hose fitting on one end and a copper cap on the other. He cut a 1 1/2" long kerf in the end with a hacksaw. Brilliant in its simplicity

Nice. Thanks for the dimensions. Sounds pretty easy to accomplish. Even for me.

Mine's only 2' long. Used 3/8" copper tube, brass compression fitting to mate with a PVC female hose fitting. I use an everyday pistol grip spray nozzle to attach to a hose and the wand to control the water flow. I drilled two 3/16" holes near the end and then crimped over the end of the tube. It looks a lot like the one Charlie made, since his design was my inspiration.

When I use it, I put a thin sheet of plastic between the radiator and the condenser before blowing water through the radiator to keep the crap from sticking into the condenser. Then when doing the condenser, the plastic protects the radiator from damage by the wand.

water wand 004.JPG

water wand 005.JPG

I made one out of CPVC that works for me. Could hook up with you Saturday. Text me at 480-721-6778 Chas

Thanks for the template Timmy. I'll get it back to ya next week. Good seeing you this morning.

Also thank you Chas for the template. I'm going to give them both a go and see which one I like. Might just be making 2 of them.