NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C5 Oil Pressure Gage

suprone

My sons 01 C5 formally "Suprone" has his gage freaking out! Gage stopped working years ago. I had no problem with it. Year later my son said its started going up and down as if it was coming to life! Then all of a sudden lights go off telling him "DANGER"! Is this normal? We know it should be replaced but all that freaking out took us by surprise! What's going on?

BTW... He's not driving it for fear something is going to blow up!

old yeller

My jeep did the same thing. The oil pressure sending unit was bad.

Is it losing oil at all or sound bad? Typically they peg max when they crap out. With the sending unit out I wouldn't even venture to guess if it would throw codes

Bite the bullet, replace the sending unit. There are videos on YouTube that walk you through it

joe@cpr.com

Most likely the unit. If it was ever replaced with an auto parts store unit they can leak through to the connector and cause funky dash readings. Do a new gm unit and go from  there. 

^^^^ this ^^^^^

If that connector is oil fouled (likely) you better get it really clean before reconnecting to the new piece. Disconnect the battery before doing it though 

Its not the worst DIY job in the world, its just a PITA. What's going to take you 3 hours Joe can probably do it in 30 minutes, it all depends on what your time is worth 

Oh, I'd be willing to bet that the intake gaskets are oem, smart to bite the bullet and replace new. One more thing, be careful with the vacuum fitting on the back of the intake. Break or forget to reconnect and you'll be pulling it right off again 

• 2 weeks later...

if that connector has been soaking  in oil for  a long period of time I recommend replacing it along with the sensor. also the pcv vacuum hose has a  tendancy to squish and melt where it connects behind the throttle body and crack where it connects at the valve covers. if the little vacuum line behind the intake breaks or if your afraid it will when you install the intake back on, you can just cut the line and lengthen it a few inches.