Traction problems

DWRAT

My Boosted Grand Sport has a traction problem. 

I am still running factory stock tires and want to stick with run flats if I need to change tires.

Is there anything other then lifting off the pedal to help hook up?

Thanks

Dan

A Vitesse throttle control will work. Just don't set it on the advance side. It has 7 retard positions that slow the pedal reactions. You'll still get to WOT, but it won't be a shock that'd get the tires to spin.

joe@cpr.com

If you want to discuss traction options give me a call or stop by the shop. I have these cars down very well in the traction department. 

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:35 PM, DWRAT said:

I am still running factory stock tires and want to stick with run flats if I need to change tires.

Thanks

Dan

How old are your current tires?

Traction and runcraps don't really go together.  As Joe said there are some tips but the tire is just not made for that.

7 hours ago, cr133r said:

How old are your current tires?

Car is a 2011 with factory tires, only 4,000 miles so far.

The tires at age 6+ are getting hard and RF's don't help. New RF's will be better, but controlling the power is the only way you'll solve the traction issue. You can do it with your foot or with an electronic throttle control that does it for you.

insatiableOne

Just an adition to what has already been preached.

Just getting rid of those runflats and reducing your unsprung weight by a considerable amount is massive gains. 

The chance of needing that extra protection is minimal to never at best. Going to an extreme soft tire is the answer in adition to what has been suggested. Michelin sport cups for example will grip vs those hard runflats that just spin. The difference is day and night, especially in cornering or turns.  I always dropped the pressure a bit, to get more bite.  Going to a variable shock also could help soften the launch.

An interesting article from Superchevy http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/1401-corvette-tires-everything-you-need-to-know/

scottcolbath

I carry a plug kit, mini compressor and even a can of Fix-A-Flat (last resort). Screw RunFlats. I love my Bridgestones. :cool

S.C.

insatiableOne
4 hours ago, scottcolbath said:

mini compressor and even a can of Fix-A-Flat (last resort)

Yes last resort, too bad fix a flat destroys many aluminum wheels. The chemical can eat it like a hive of termites.  

6 hours ago, insatiableOne said:

Yes last resort, too bad fix a flat destroys many aluminum wheels. The chemical can eat it like a hive of termites.  

I've run a product called Slime in my atv tires for years and they have aluminum wheels.

No problem what so ever and really works well.

Not sure if it would kill a TPMS or not.

scottcolbath

If you use Fix A Flat, you had better address the primary issue (the flat) as soon as you have a chance. No worries about the rim. It won't harm it to any degree in a short amount of time. Fix the tire properly once in a place where you are able to do so, and assure the rim is properly cleaned out at that time.

Slime in auto tires? No. I don't think it would be a good idea. It's OK in dirt bike/ATV and bicycle tires, but I'd not run it in something that will be rotating as fast as a wheel/tire will on the road, especially a Vette, which may exceed posted speeds on occasion. :cool

I're read that Fix A Flat will wreck a TPMS sensor, but in a pinch, I'm not going to worry about it. I'd assume Slime is no better for the sensors.

S.C.

corvettech

if the traction you desire is in a straight line you could try playing with the rear alignment, adjust it down to 0 degrees camber and 0 degrees toe, (that would adversely affect cornering stability though). of course the best traction aid I can recommend would be some sticky tires. I start recommending tires when they reach 5 years old.

bumpin96monte
On 5/31/2017 at 10:35 PM, DWRAT said:

Thanks

Dan

How much power are you making?  A basic small blower car doing 600 whp will need a different approach than a 1000+ whp ysi/f1x car.

I had similar issues when I added boost last year.  I had stock replacement run flats on there that were over 5 years old.  They had a lot of tread left but were useless in all of 1st and 2nd.

I switched over to NT05Rs and now it hooks great (still on a 19" wheel).  It needs some heat and lower air pressure to launch hard in 1st, but even at normal pressure they hook 2nd at any speed and 1st is now usable with some pedaling.

Of course those aren't a run flat (and aren't really a handling tire), but my point is that getting a sticky tire that is newer would be a big 1st step.  Wanting to keep the run flat function will limit your choices, but I'm sure there is something more sticky than what you've got.

4 hours ago, bumpin96monte said:

How much power are you making?  A basic small blower car doing 600 whp will need a different approach than a 1000+ whp ysi/f1x car.

606 hp.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Most likely will do some new tires in time.

Thankfully the car always goes straight as a arrow when it starts spinning.

Dan

bumpin96monte
3 hours ago, DWRAT said:

606 hp.

If you're really stuck on run flats, I can't give much advice.  About the only high performance run flats I've driven on were Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP tires.  They hooked pretty well and handled very nicely.  Definitely not drag radial level straight line traction, but I'd imagine they'd last a bit longer.