NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Racing, Rain = Not Good!

Scratch

Guest Steve Mulvey

Thanks!

That was really funny! :thumbs

I have raced in similar conditions and I must say that it is my favorite weather for motorsports. Isn't it amazing that they allow amateur drivers out in expensive cars in the rain? I used to see this sort of thing a lot when we were in the pro endurance series' and I always wondered how you could possibly do anything as dumb as that. If you look at the beginning you will see cones next to the stalled Saleen. That indicates that the track is blocked there and the configuration is to turn right and not go straight. You have to ask yourself - if it is raining that hard, and it appears to be just teeming, why would you crest a hill flat out knowing that there is a right turn at the bottom? Because you are an idiot... Everyone else loses it on top of the hill as well for the same reason, too much throttle over the rise. I liked the orange car that was all folded up the best! What a great lawnmower! :smilelol

By the way, the Russian judge gave the marshall a "9.9" for degree of difficulty on that Viper backflip! You would have to be incredibly stupid to vault the fence with that kind of carnage and a hot race track.. he really was lucky not to have been killed...

Thanks for sharing, this sort of thing was why I went into motorsports in the first place, just hilarious

:D

Guest Sidewinder
Thanks!

That was really funny! :thumbs

I have raced in similar conditions and I must say that it is my favorite weather for motorsports. Isn't it amazing that they allow amateur drivers out in expensive cars in the rain? I used to see this sort of thing a lot when we were in the pro endurance series' and I always wondered how you could possibly do anything as dumb as that. Is you look at the beginning you will see cones next to the stalled Saleen. That indicates that the track is blocked there and the configuration is to turn right and not go straight. You have to ask yourself - if it is raining that hard, and it appears to be just teeming, why would you crest a hill flat out knowing that there is a right turn at the bottom? Because you are an idiot... Everyone else loses it on top of the hill as well for the same reason, too much throttle over the rise. I liked the orange car that was all folded up the best! What a great lawnmower! :smilelol

By the way, the Russian judge gave the marshall a "9.9" for degree of difficulty on that Viper backflip! You would have to be incredibly stupid to vault the fence with that kind of carnage and a hot race track.. he really was lucky not to have been killed...

Thanks for sharing, this sort of thing was why I went into motorsports in the first place, just hilarious

:D

Steve,

It looks like they still had the slicks on?

Guest Steve Mulvey

Could be slicks, but jeez when the weather is like that you might just want to lift off a tad...

I have replayed this a couple of times, I never get tired of car wrecks...

Especially as a Saleen race car is probably a million dollars, the road car is $600,000-.....neato!

What is amazing to me is the drivers that do not practice in the rain. When I used to race in Denver, we had T&T days. Just as soon as it rained, everyone, except me would get off the track. That is the time to find what you need to do different for the rain line and see what you shouldn't do in the car.

The C5 does quite well in the rain and performs surprisingly well in the snow. The only time I didn't drive mine was when the snow was too deep to get out.

A little info for the C5, and maybe C6 M6 trans drivers.

Look up at the top of the clutch peddle.

Right at the top behind the clutch peddle is the interlock switch. It is a good size switch.

If your car should happen to die in a bad spot, you can stick your left foot up and behind the peddle and make that switch. You can even starter the car out of the way in a gear as high as 2nd. You can definitely crank on it long enough in gear to get the car out of the way. The car will travel a good distance just on the starter.

Just be aware that the car could restart and cover the brake with your right foot to stop it immediately

The time to try that is not when you need too.

Try it in a safe area 1st and it doesn't even need to be in gear to get the feel for it.

I have had to use this once myself. I have never even seen this taught. It is a 4x4 off-road technique I carried over into RR.

Drive smarter not harder

I've used the start in gear a few times out in the jeep. works great on the side of a hill... :thumbs

• 2 weeks later...

Go ahead, have your laughs....

This spring.... (and yes there is air under the front tire in the second pic :eek )

Go ahead, have your laughs....

This spring.... (and yes there is air under the front tire in the second pic :eek )

Looks like the Jeep could use a little articulation. That suspension looks tight!

Stock 1979 springs with an add-a-leaf, and aftermarket shackles.

Yeah it's not as capable as most of the rides put together these days, but for the little 4wheeling I do, it's good enough....

Guest XLR8TNC5

I dont' know that I would have the guts to race in the rain or climb rocks like that! HOLY CRAP! Now, Jenna on the other hand, I know she likes that rock crawling fun! That's my girl right there! lol.

Guest XLR8TNC5
when u going to hook me up with her...

I think you are a little confused there Glenn. Not Jenna! Jenna is married to David aka EUDLOSE! She drives a Jeep Commander and recently they took it off roading and did a bit of rock crawling that she totally dug. I was meaning, she had a lot of guts to do that and I would never probably do it. lol.

I think you are referring to my friend Renee. She is recently taken (as of Thanksgiving.) LOL. You are such a hounddog!

Anyway, back to the program here.....No racey racey in the rain for me! lol.