NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Roof whistle

insatiableOne

insatiableOne

I had my roof whistle again today (it was only slightly) but still annoying. 

The first time it happened on the way back from the Prescott Vette show this year & was start & stop intermittent like then constant.

Thought it was from the pass side splitter i broke. But, took splitter off and still there.

Any ideas on this? Perhaps need to reclean &  grease the seals again, its about time. 

I do take my roof off ALL THE TIME.

it certainly wouldn't hurt. maybe try re-learning the window soft stops too? if it still persists, try taking a dollar bill and close it into the window and pull it up and down along the glass/roof, glass/b-pillar and glass/a-pillar surfaces to see if maybe the whistle is coming from the window weatherstrips.

• Upvote 1

insatiableOne

Thanks, will try that. I get tuesday off finally. Try it then, have to remember to get another can of dielectric grease. 

Weird, it only seems to show up on windy days. So this might suck.  It sort of sounds like a reed put between your thumbs, you know that low vrrrrrh sound.

Give it a go, let you know what I find out. 

Azmotorhead

FWIW  Staceys old truck (o5 GMC) had a low pitch whistle like that. Would only occur at certain speeds and if we were driving into a headwind.

Finally figured out it was the windshield seal up by the rear view mirror

• Upvote 2

insatiableOne

Washed all of my cars weatherstripping last night and finished up this morning spreading a thin coat of dielectric grease then wiping it in. Did not leave it so wet this time, just wiped it in  since the weatherstrips were no longer dry after my intial time doing this. Made certain to really get the backside or lip clan as well. Boy they got dirty fast!

Have to admit it did occur while in a strong headwind, not all the time. My roof clamps down pretty forcefully so won't add another seal to the front. Lubed the door hinges and strker/latch assembly also. 

Wait and see..

Oh, will try the dollar bill test a bit later, this took quite a while to do, atleast the way I wanted .