NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Changing Fluids in a C7 Corvette

DesertDog56

DesertDog56

I bought a used 2014 C7 Z51 3LT Corvette about ten months ago.  It had 10 K miles when I bought it and now it has 14 K.  The computer said that the engine oil needed to be changed already.  With twelve quarts of Mobil 1 and mostly highway driving I would think that the oil would be fine for more than one year.  Okay, fine I had the oil changed.  I'm not sure but I think the dry sump requires some special attention to make sure that it is primed when the engine is restarted.  Anyone know?

Anyway, the dealer also told me that Chevrolet says my clutch fluid also needed to be changed as well as the differential oil

Coming from Minnesota where there is not only tremendous humidity but also many freeze-thaw cycles I can imagine that condensation could be an issue but here in Arizona?  I also never changed differential oil on vehicles that I drove for over 150 K miles in MN so why would I need to here?  I know that the diff has some special hydraulic components to vector torque so it there a good reason to change the differential oil in three year, 14 K miles?

Just wondering what you people do regarding fluids.

My Z 51 only holds 10 quarts. 7500 miles is about the max on the oil before changing I don't see why other oils would need to be changed at this time 

scottcolbath
19 hours ago, DesertDog56 said:

Anyway, the dealer also told me that Chevrolet says my clutch fluid also needed to be changed as well as the differential oil

This sounds like a service department up sell, just to make them some money. Check your owner's manual for service intervals.

S.C.

MY ZR1 has a 10.5 QT dry sump and I typically go between 5-6K before changing the oil and I'm still at about 30-35% oil life remaining.  I also have about 32K on the odo and I have yet to change the clutch fluid.  I too think you are being upsold.

Usually about 7,500 on an oil change for me. (2013 LS7 with 10.5 quart dry sump)

No priming needed on the dry sump after an oil change. . .

seems a bit early on the diff and definitely early on the clutch. unless there is an issue with a component that requires breaking into the hydraulic system, I usually recommend brake and clutch fluid changes at 5-7years.

Since both the brake and clutch fluid are hygroscopic, flushing is generally only needed if the fluid is exposed to the atmosphere for extended periods. The problem with clutch fluid is more with particle contamination from the clutch disc. If the fluid turns dark, you know it's time to flush or suck out the reservoir and add clean.

Do engine oil changes when the DIC message CHANGE OIL is displayed. Or at 1 year maximum intervals if you have a warranty you want to keep intact.

Unless your owner's manual shows a maintenance schedule for the rear axle fluid, don't bother changing it until 150K miles, which is what GM considers the vehicle's lifetime. However, if you push the car hard enough to force the limited slip clutches into action (think autocross driving), you might reduce the miles to change.