NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Who here changes their own tires?

scottcolbath

I just ordered a pair of rear Potenza 760s for my car. I put fronts on last year, but Discount Tire has stopped selling them, and now has some fucking expensive option. So, thank you TireRack.com for still stocking them.

Now, I have a manual tire changer, and a non-scratch teflon tool (for the tires, you pervs). I do motorcycle tires on it all the time, and I even helped out a guy with a POS Mustang swap a tire once. It worked fine.

My concern is the TPMS. I don't want to damage them. I know more or less how they lay inside the rim/tire, so there's that. But having not done it before, I'm just a little hesitant.

Anyone done this?

S.C.

1 hour ago, JohnU said:

I'm sure that's good for the TPMS units.

S.C.

Quicksilver98

If you have one of those pieces of shit that Harbor freight sells I wouldn't even consider it.  It will damage your rims no matter how careful you try to be.   I bought one years ago and used it twice.....bent it all to hell from the cheap shit steel they make it from.   Ended up throwing it in the dumpster.  Your better off paying the 20 bucks and have it done at a shop with a balance.   

14 minutes ago, Quicksilver98 said:

If you have one of those pieces of shit that Harbor freight sells I wouldn't even consider it.  It will damage your rims no matter how careful you try to be.   I bought one years ago and used it twice.....bent it all to hell from the cheap shit steel they make it from.   Ended up throwing it in the dumpster.  Your better off paying the 20 bucks and have it done at a shop with a balance.   

^^^^

this

2 hours ago, Quicksilver98 said:

I have this. 

https://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoweb.htm

Friggin' thing is great.

I'm doing my truck tires next week. We'll see how that goes. If I'm happy with the results, I'll surely do the Vette next.

S.C.

insatiableOne

I've  had ggod luck with those and big mud tires or 16.5's   

Agree with better to pay to have a good & proper balance on them. As I don't have a tire machine & balancer since I moved.  

Only done ether with the tire standing up, so you can roll it to keep the flame going, then hit it immediately with air.

Quicksilver98
On 2/17/2017 at 8:12 PM, scottcolbath said:

I have this. 

https://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoweb.htm

Friggin' thing is great.

I'm doing my truck tires next week. We'll see how that goes. If I'm happy with the results, I'll surely do the Vette next.

S.C.

If you using it with this tool.....good luck!   its the same one I threw out.  Absolute garbage.  Better put a blanket or something thick over that metal bump stop at the bottom as it will gouge your rims up while you try to break the beads down..  I had to weld metal braces in between the flimsy metal arms that attach to the bead breaker as they would bend so much they nearly touch each other before the bead even began to move.  It may work ok for motorcycle tires with weaker beads or brand new tires that are still soft and flexible but try it on some old dried out 5 year old car/truck tires I think you will be in for a workout!    The bar that comes with it is either hollow or made of lead.  I used it twice and had it bent with about a 20 degree bend.  Should of taken it back to H.F And told them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine but I was so pissed I beat it with a sledge hammer to get my frustation out then chucked it in the dumpster.   Let us know how it goes....maybe with that teflon coated bar it wont be as bad.    

http://www.harborfreight.com/manual-tire-changer-69686.html

On February 18, 2017 at 11:00 PM, Quicksilver98 said:

If you using it with this tool.....good luck!   its the same one I threw out.  Absolute garbage.  Better put a blanket or something thick over that metal bump stop at the bottom as it will gouge your rims up while you try to break the beads down..  I had to weld metal braces in between the flimsy metal arms that attach to the bead breaker as they would bend so much they nearly touch each other before the bead even began to move.  It may work ok for motorcycle tires with weaker beads or brand new tires that are still soft and flexible but try it on some old dried out 5 year old car/truck tires I think you will be in for a workout!    The bar that comes with it is either hollow or made of lead.  I used it twice and had it bent with about a 20 degree bend.  Should of taken it back to H.F And told them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine but I was so pissed I beat it with a sledge hammer to get my frustation out then chucked it in the dumpster.   Let us know how it goes....maybe with that teflon coated bar it wont be as bad.    

http://www.harborfreight.com/manual-tire-changer-69686.html

Mine is a bit more sturdy than that, and has served me well for a long time now.

S.C.

Last time I bought some tires online,I used Big O to mount and balance.

This was about 4 years ago,and I was charged 20.00 a tire.Well worth it.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, y2krtaf said:

Last time I bought some tires online,I used Big O to mount and balance.

This was about 4 years ago,and I was charged 20.00 a tire.Well worth it.

If I don't mount myself, I'll bring it to Discount. I've been using them for 20 years. Both the truck and Vette will need balancing, so that is the very least I'll be doing there.

S.C.

• Upvote 1

low pro tires are pretty tricky, when they are runflats it can be an outright nightmare. having the right machine definitely makes it easier

So I was thinking about having a little get together at my place today. Buy some donuts, get some coffee, and invite you wankers over to hang out while I changed tires. But I wasn't exactly sure of when I'd be getting started due to other bullshit going on, so I decided I'd save the hangout for  another time.

Good thing I did. I didn't even get the bead broken on the first tire on the truck and the tire changer pulled up out of the concrete in the garage. I was trying to break the bead and it was stubborn. So I put in the leverage bar and put some weight on it. Lifted the friggin' changer loose and pulled up a nice chunk of concrete.

So, I packed it up, tossed the new tires in the bed of the truck and went to Discount Tire. Now I have to patch the garage floor and decide on a new location for the changer, and go deeper with the pilot holes for the anchors.

S.C.

• Upvote 1