NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C5 failed multiswitch

scottcolbath

Shit, looks like my multiswitch is toast. When the headlights are on, I have no dash lights and no rear running lights. Brake lights work.

All signs point to failed multiswitch.

S.C.

Pretty common issue but make sure your battery has a full charge and your connections are clean.  Wacky things start happening on a C5 when there isn't good power

Hey, just got to thinking too, a bunch of the affected systems route through the hazard switch which is also a known PITA issue.  Cycle your hazard switch on/off a bunch of times and see if that helps, the contacts get corroded from never being used and sometimes that helps

10 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

Hey, just got to thinking too, a bunch of the affected systems route through the hazard switch which is also a known PITA issue.  Cycle your hazard switch on/off a bunch of times and see if that helps, the contacts get corroded from never being used and sometimes that helps

Interesting. I'll give that a go. 

Battery is nicely charged, and connections clean and tight. Thanks for the tips.

S.C.

23 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

Wacky things start happening on a C5 when there isn't good power

Strange things happen to the C4 as well if the Battery is flakey

Well, the disassembly process to get at the multiswitch probably took a total of 30 minutes. But I spent probably another 90 minutes cleaning parts, removing 18 years of shit. And the fucking part didn't show up until after 4:00 today, so Amazon got to eat that overnight charge. I also now know that whichever dealership that did the column lock recall did a half-assed job with putting all this same shit (console and dash) back together years ago. Wiring was haphazardly tied up, zip ties were not trimmed, a screw was missing here or there. That's fine. Tomorrow I have all day to satisfy my dusting of OCD, and make sure it's all put neatly back together, better than before.

BTW, that emergency flasher thing didn't work. But it was worth a shot.

S.C.

Switch is in and working. Now to put this thing back together the way it should have been done.

S.C.

Must be a corvette thing, I had to replace mine on my c6. Every time I turned my blinker on the high beams would go on. Anyway nice job doing it your self.

While it's done and the car looks and acts just fine, I know there was some shit work done on that car at some point. Cracked mount points for hardware, shit hardware where OEM stuff should have been. I'd like to start from scratch with all new console parts and dash parts, along with fresh new hardware, only because I know. It looks fine, but it will now forever bother me.

Maybe this is the excuse I need to put in a badass 2DIN stereo and get that fancy dash/console thingey.

S.C.

You made a project out of it while you were in there so well done. Never miss an opportunity to clean and straighten it all out. I just installed a Pioneer APP Radio 4 in my 91 and I'm pretty happy with it.