NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Radiator Drain C5

az57chevy

Want to swap out my coolant so got some Dex Cool and distilled water.

Pulled up onto some ramps and after several attempts got the drain plug to turn 90 degrees counterclockwise

But nothing comes out!!

I rotated the plug several times and even removed the overflow tank cap to no avail!  I tried pulling the plus towards the rear and don't see any difference.

My fading memory suggests I had a similar problem the last time I tried draining the coolant.

What am I missing?  I'm guessing the extended tangs as shown in the horizontal position is when it is closed?

IMG_3744.JPG

Well.....sounds like you're doing it correctly (I believe) but it can be a two-handed procedure.   I used a 1/4" racheting screwdriver.  To remove, rotate left a quarter turn-ish while gently prying out with a chisel or the like.  I think they are known to marry up to the side tank some and you definitely need to open the system.  I replaced with the Dorman piece which is a thumb turn removal

Apparently a little spray of WD-40 was the convincer.  Of course I had sheared off the pin on the side so O'Reilly's was an easy fix for that Dorman part.IMG_3761.JPG

Now I just need to recycle the old coolant, which was actually pretty clear and clean