NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Big Tom

I thought I had seen it all, but Wait....

As some of you may know I have my Grand Sport up for sale. Thursday of this week I was contacted by a "Nice Couple" who said that they were interested. They came to the house and looked it over. I backed it out so they could look at it.  They both test sat in it but said that they would come back if interested for a test drive.

Friday they called for a test drive..  To my surprise they show up in the exact same car as mine but in Black and with a Manual . Lo and behold they are on a test drive from Arrowhead Caddy. I say what a coincidence, I have my car serviced there.

We go for a drive while his wife sits in my house talking to my wife.  They like both cars but are partial to my Red one. They agree to call back with their decision.

Saturday I get a call from a salesman from Arrowhead asking if I would like to trade my car in.

No call from the "nice couple"

Coincidence?  What do you think?

Just now, badbobs95 said:

Did you ask the salesman why he called out of the blue?

I did and his answer was "Just verifying our records"  Hard to argue when the car is in their records...  

The couple no doubt told him they like your red car better then his.  Being a proactive salesperson (very rare today, Kudos to him), He's checking to see if he can sell you something and sell your trade in to them.   I don't know how your sales tax works in AZ.  In MN every car transaction is taxed unless traded.  Then only the difference in value is taxed.  If your couple was in MN they could trade in a car towards your trade-in and save in taxes......provided you traded in your car to the dealer. 

Option B in MN is a "nice" dealership will allow you buy a new car.   You sell your car yourself (for more money of course ) and bring the buyers in and they will run the paperwork and allow you to save on the tax difference on the two vehicles.     Most dealers will not allow this, so you pay tax on the full value on your new car if you do not have a trade in.