NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Bizarre low-mileage Z06 oil leak - WEIRD!

AZhitman

As posted on the big forum (http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3915786-bizarre-low-mileage-z06-oil-leak-weird.html)

My 38k-mile '03 C5Z recently developed an oil leak that presented all of a sudden. 

Further investigation on a lift revealed "blown-back" oil all over the lower pan, transverse leaf, and bottom of the upper pan (just behind the balancer). 

A full scrubbing and cleaning ensued, followed by application of UV dye to track the source. Here's the weird part:

ALL the "usual suspects" are fine. No oil from the sending unit, filter, filler plug, balancer, or rear main - all mating surfaces are clean, dry, and revealed no dye. 

The UV dye revealed (very clearly) that oil is seeping out of the center of the upper pan, immediately above the transverse leaf spring. 

Is there a possibility that a rock or road debris somehow got on TOP of the spring and made hard contact with the center of the aluminum pan (maybe over a bump or decompression of the front suspension)? Has anyone ever heard of this?

I'm so damn bummed. NOT looking forward to the expense of R&R on the upper pan. frown5.gif 

Thanks in advance for any guidance, guys - and if anyone has a line on an upper pan, or can weld aluminum, I'm in the market.

What's an upper pan? I only see pans, not upper and lower pans.

BTW, if it's cracked and seeping, you're better doing a replacement than welding. It's real difficult to clean it enough that remaining oil in the crack won't cause a poor weld.

Could be just a porous casting. Yes it happens.

If you need someone to do it for you I can get you in after the 1st

sounds like aluminum porosity, gm had issued a tsb on porosity on aluminum wheels a while back. seems like an oil pan with porosity bad enough to cause a leak would be rare although definitely plausible. most likely its going to be a bad casting, a void inside the oil pan wall that was missed on the production line. either way though your best bet is to get another oil pan, cast aluminum doesn't take to welding all that well