NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

open door window dropped an inch

insatiableOne

insatiableOne

Wednesday got in car to warm up engine. Opened the door, then the window dropped about an inch. Looked at it.. like oh boy. So started car, it turned over like it had a gear reduction starter. ( that slight hesitation with high compression) Started to get worried a bit...  

Went and searched the forum here. And since I never received an owners manual & the one in PDF is on my work computer.  Nothing came up here in search. Then went to the Corvette forum, and of course mentioned that I needed to index my windows. per manual 

by turn on accessory mode, doors closed, roll all way down hold button for three to four seconds then put all way up, again hold the switch up for an additional three to four seconds. Do that twice for each.

went to work ..  came home .       

Last night went to go to work, open door, window dropped again...    uh-oh      get in to start, not a click?   Battery dead_

I have never seen anything like the desert for just sudden death to batteries. No warning, just PoW! right in the kisser Jackie Gleason style.

Pulled the battery out, off to Interstate for a battery.  $140.00 not too bad. . Cleaned the terminals, tray with baking soda water. Cleaned the new post.. sprayed it all down with terminal spray. Charging with 14.4 volts

Re-indexed the windows, again. All seems well, for now.  

Cant complain, first issue other than the leaky fuel pump. 

• Upvote 1

Batteries will die here without any warning/chattering.  I saw that it wasn't holding a full charge and that was my only warning.

You do not buy batteries here in the desert, you simply rent them. Right after the free replacement time is up it goes bad.  You bring it back, they prorate it, they tell you how much it will cost to replace (rent due) and you go on your merry way.

insatiableOne

I was truly amazed how much is powered up when the ignition switch is engaged. 

All I kept seeing on the DIC was ... shocks inoperable, traction control, active handling, etc. etc. etc. Lights came on every single time I tried as well. 

So yes, with a draw like that.. nothing could function without a generator. 

This is the second time in twenty years my Snap-On booster failed me. The first was when I got it and tried without a battery at all. 

So hopefully my battery rent goes concurrent with its new storage unit. 

Sadly my car sits in the garage.......a lot these days. Every so often I'll put it on a trickle charge just to get the battery back to where it needs to be. Its amazing how much these cars discharge a battery while the car sits idle

Mine stays on the Battery tender. Only time it comes off is when it leaves the garage. Same as the Motorcycles..

13 hours ago, Big Tom said:

Mine stays on the Battery tender. Only time it comes off is when it leaves the garage. Same as the Motorcycles..

Yes! Lead acid and AGM batteries like to be kept at a 100% charge. 

My C5 had a quirk that the CD player would lose its mind on the last successful start of the dying battery. First time I was clueless and got stranded. The next two times I recognized it and went immediately to get a battery.

Bromley's Corvettes

Its crazy how important the battery condition is even on the classics. Guys let the cars sit then wont start from low battery. They jump it or put a charger on it get it started and let it idle real low with low volts and it runs pig rich. Kills the plugs fills the engine with gas then complain why it dont run right and smells gassy lol. Most corvettes have drains on them so they always sucking power from the battery. Some drains easy to track down some not.