NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C3 front rotor runout

Tkane

Anyone ever have the front rotors shimmed on a C3 to eliminate runout? My right front isn't right. I'm pretty sure it needs shimming, curious what it costs, I'm guessing a shop that specializes in vettes will be well versed in this since it's a common issue. Brakes have been completely done and I'm guessing when the rotors were put on they weren't made true as is needed on these cars, because it's squeaking like crazy and I'm getting air in system. I may try to do it myself if it's too expensive.

I'm not familiar with this shimming procedure but wouldn't having the rotors resurfaced while on the car have the same net effect your looking for?

Bromley's Corvettes

More common is having to clearance or shim the caliper. Did the factory rivets get drilled out in the hub? Maybe the rotor is not sitting flat on the hub:) I have also seen the center hole not quite big enough so it lets rotor sit just a hair off and will keep taking out calipers.

My rear spindle was "off" a touch, a previous owner no doubt hit a curb. Not sure if it's possible to bend a front spindle without taking out a ball joint but I guess anything is possible.

Bromley's Corvettes

Yes ask for me Doug. I am the owner:) We deal with this problem all the time. Sometimes easy sometimes miss match parts sometimes bent parts. You have to fit things on these cars cant usually just bolt them on