NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

99 FRC - window problem

Bret99FRC

I have a 99 FRC that the windows will not go up or down. They are currently in the up position. The repair place I called said that since the windows are up, It is probably not the regulator. I was quoted $366 for motor and regulator per side.

Could it just be the regulator? Does $366 sound about right for both?

Do your door locks work? 

Did the windows stop working at the same time, or different times?  It would be highly unlikely that both regulators went out at the same time, which would make it some other issue, like the control module, fuse, or something else electrical.

When my regulator went out I bought an AC Delco replacement on Amazon for about $160 - $170.  R/R is pretty easy for a novice DIYer.  Buy new door panel fasteners before you do this, cause you will break some.

It is an easy fix.  For my 2003 I also had to get an adapter from GM as the Delco replacement part had a different electrical connector.  Quick trip to Chapman solved the problem

I have seen both regulator motors seized up at the same time, although it is pretty rare and it usualy happens on a vehicle that has been sitting for a long time or where the windows haven't moved in years, by far most regulators I replace are from the cables or pulleys falling apart. the only way to know for sure that you've got a bad window motor is to check power and ground at the lift motor itself.

I would definitely check the relays in the door modules. I've replaced the regulators due to fraying. They always moved a little, though.