NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

radiator flush

Cu4L8R

Guest badbobs95

The last time I did mine I drained all of the coolant out and then stuck a hose in the recovery tank and let it flow. Fill using 50% dex cool and 50% water. Pretty simple. There might be a better way but I don't know it.

Only way I know of to "clean the crap" out of a radiator properly is to remove it and take it to a radiator shop and get it tanked and rodded

If that car has been maintained with the proper 50/50 mix of Dexcool you really shouldn't be having a problem on that end I wouldn't think.  How many miles on the car?

A true system flush, to get coolant pulled out of every nook & cranny will require the system to be put under vacuum.  I had Joe at Classic Gold do mine a couple of years ago.

If you just need a drain & refill, that's pretty easy to do yourself.

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 0:31 PM, az57chevy said:

which prompts the question - how often to drain and flush based on years or miles?

these days its about 10years or 100,000miles, its more of a guideline though, some guys do it sooner, some later. just make sure you use distilled water with the coolant and you should be fine.

7 minutes ago, Big Tom said:

Next question. What's the proper way to dispose of the old coolant?

In some cities, the city will allow you to put it down your home's disposal sewer line in front of your home.  If you can't where you live, you can take it to a jiffy lube type place.  They will probably charge a disposal fee though.

I've just flushed the heck out of 'em with City of Tempe tap water and then replace with coolant and distilled.  the first time some brown junk was in the system, Dex Cool?, but since then no issues.

21 hours ago, Cu4L8R said:

ok, so no one here can do it right?

Id send a PM to Azmotorhead, maybe he can help you out.  Classic Gold was mentioned, I highly recommend them as well.

I have a hunch maybe what you have in mind is a reverse flush like you used to be able to do on older cars, I'm not sure the plumbing on these modern cars will allow that.  Unless you've been running straight tap water in that system I'm just having a hard time the issue is inside the cooling system.  I think if you're having heating problems that either you have blockage in the condenser/radiator fins or you have a fan issue

On 9/14/2016 at 0:31 PM, az57chevy said:

which prompts the question - how often to drain and flush based on years or miles?

Neither distance driven nor calendar pages cause coolant degradation. Retailers and manufacturers promote 5 years or 150K miles, because it's simple to understand. Knowing the chemical composition and how to test the effectiveness is beyond the general public's ability.

No unmodified C6, even with the factory fill, should have an over-heating issue that requires a coolant flush. They were filled with non-toxic DexCool that won't kill Bad Bob's cats. Most places that recycle oil, won't take old coolant because they have no way to test if it's old-style hazardous waste or a simply harmless fluid. It doesn't work real well as a weed killer either.

Jim's assessment of an airflow blockage is the most likely cause. Take out the Walmart/grocery bag and blow out the dirt from the back side with air or water. It's not rocket science.

The fan (only one in a C6) either works correctly or not at all. Start the engine and turn on the AC to check it. If it's not working, the most likely (common) problem is the connector has shorted out and melted the housing. It'll either need replaced (the GM replacement has smaller wires than the OEM :ack) or use a bypass.

Guest badbobs95
17 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

Neither distance driven nor calendar pages cause coolant degradation. Retailers and manufacturers promote 5 years or 150K miles, because it's simple to understand. Knowing the chemical composition and how to test the effectiveness is beyond the general public's ability.

No unmodified C6, even with the factory fill, should have an over-heating issue that requires a coolant flush. They were filled with non-toxic DexCool that won't kill Bad Bob's cats. Most places that recycle oil, won't take old coolant because they have no way to test if it's old-style hazardous waste or a simply harmless fluid. It doesn't work real well as a weed killer either.

Jim's assessment of an airflow blockage is the most likely cause. Take out the Walmart/grocery bag and blow out the dirt from the back side with air or water. It's not rocket science.

The fan (only one in a C6) either works correctly or not at all. Start the engine and turn on the AC to check it. If it's not working, the most likely (common) problem is the connector has shorted out and melted the housing. It'll either need replaced (the GM replacement has smaller wires than the OEM :ack) or use a bypass.

That's what I was just going to say. Tom and I are extremely intelligent!  :smilelol