NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Why My 1/4 Mile Is So Slow...

Bigfoot

I think I may know why, but not how to correct.

I think that my car may be starting off in second gear for some reason. When I get a chance, I will do more testing, but I think starting in 2nd and may be the reason for my bogged down launches at Speedworld.

So over the last few days I've been watching and my car either goes really early into 2nd gear or is starting in 2nd gear. When I get a chance and empty roads I'm going to try a few tests starting the car in 1st, 2nd and 3rd to see what's happening and how she performs.

Does this sound reasonable and if so, how do I fix this problem, other than puting her in 1st on a launch?

I know I've had my shift points "adjusted" with a tune. Maybe if that is the problem, maybe a reflash or a tune "adjustment" may help.

I think that my car may be starting off in second gear for some reason. When I get a chance, I will do more testing, but I think starting in 2nd and may be the reason for my bogged down launches at Speedworld.

So over the last few days I've been watching and my car either goes really early into 2nd gear or is starting in 2nd gear. When I get a chance and empty roads I'm going to try a few tests starting the car in 1st, 2nd and 3rd to see what's happening and how she performs.

Does this sound reasonable and if so, how do I fix this problem, other than puting her in 1st on a launch?

Dude, D is for dumb!

Anyone can put it there and drive the car!!

What do you think the 1-2-3 gearshift places are for?

Tanya knows the R is not Race!!

You have a tachometer for a reason!!

YES. if you are drag racing, you do the manual shifting thing!!

Ken

Dude, D is for dumb!

Anyone can put it there and drive the car!!

What do you think the 1-2-3 gearshift places are for?

Tanya knows the R is not Race!!

You have a tachometer for a reason!!

YES. if you are drag racing, you do the manual shifting thing!!

Ken

Makes no sense to manually shift since it will only go into the gear when it reachs the shift point anyway. I just put mine in D and go for it. Robert :burnout

Guest 1FASTC4
Makes no sense to manually shift since it will only go into the gear when it reachs the shift point anyway. I just put mine in D and go for it. Robert :burnout

Weird, mine doesn't do that. If I put it in 1,2, or 3 it will wind to the rev limiter... will never shift.

Maybe my 700r4 is faulty though, I honestly do not know which way it is supposed to work.

Weird, mine doesn't do that. If I put it in 1,2, or 3 it will wind to the rev limiter... will never shift.

Maybe my 700r4 is faulty though, I honestly do not know which way it is supposed to work.

That's not what I mean though. If you shift from 1 to 2 before the shift point it will still stay in 1 until it reachs the shift point, you can't make it go to 2 even if you shift to 2 until it's ready to so why not leave it in D and let it shift when it's sopposed to. :huh Robert :burnout

Guest XLR8TNC5

I always put my car in D to drag. I have tried the shifting myself thing since I have the Transgo shift kit in there to run it like a manual and I found that my times weren't as fast.

However, I have also put the car in third and let the race take its place and that makes my ET speeds lower. GM's do not like to be shifted when it is an Auto.

That would make sense to Bigfoot99's problem if his car is starting in 2nd gear. And I would suggest getting the retune, flash for your shift points.

That would suck though to always be in second.

I keep forgetting how much these bad boys depend on 'puter power!!

My only experience with an automatic in a Vette was my 69.

That car was a night and day difference between just stomping on the go pedal or watching the tach and going 1st, 2nd, 3rd!!

I remember when I had the HyperTech for the '01 and there was a whole section for changing shift points and hardness for the automatics!!

I'm stupid, so I'll shut my pie hole and :leaving

Ken

Not sure how the C5 or C4 auto works. Was a time if you but it in 2nd, it would start in 2nd. Did this a thousand times during Maine winters and taking off in snow. Were talking old tech transmissions. Not sure how todays electronic trans work.

I always put my car in D to drag. I have tried the shifting myself thing since I have the Transgo shift kit in there to run it like a manual and I found that my times weren't as fast.

However, I have also put the car in third and let the race take its place and that makes my ET speeds lower. GM's do not like to be shifted when it is an Auto.

That would make sense to Bigfoot99's problem if his car is starting in 2nd gear. And I would suggest getting the retune, flash for your shift points.

That would suck though to always be in second.

Where might the most reasonable place be to get tune/reflash done. Not looking for a high performance tune...yet. From what I understand Nic is the one for that. :D I won't go to a stealership unless someone swears by them.

Aside from that, what do you guys no about those hand held power programmers?

Nic and AZP&S can tune to what YOU want, soft, mild, or wild :chris ! As for the hand held programers, I haven't a clue :cfdeadagain ! The stealership will only re flash to factory specs.

I use a Hypertech programmer and can set my shift points which I did this last race day, but I would like to get a dyno tune from Nic. Robert :burnout

I use a Hypertech programmer and can set my shift points which I did this last race day, but I would like to get a dyno tune from Nic. Robert :burnout

Was the programmer worth the money?

Was the programmer worth the money?

Got mine off Ebay for $150 so it was worth it. Mainly got it for the lower fan turn on temps and the "Power Tune", but I'll be able to change the axle ratio in the computer once I switch out the rearend. Nic should be able to do all that and more, but I'm sure it will cost alot more though. :eek Robert :burnout

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 1FASTC4
That's not what I mean though. If you shift from 1 to 2 before the shift point it will still stay in 1 until it reachs the shift point, you can't make it go to 2 even if you shift to 2 until it's ready to so why not leave it in D and let it shift when it's sopposed to. :huh Robert :burnout

Robert,

I know this is an old thread but I was killing a little time and just now saw your reply.

My apologies, I misunderstood. I was speaking of, and mistakenly thought you were speaking of, trannies that shift into the higher gear too early. For instance, my stock transmission would shift from 2nd to 3rd at a very low RPM... maybe 3700-4000 RPM's, even at WOT.

This was way too early as I'm still making good power up to 6000 RPM's. This is why I would hold it in second manually and shift into 3rd at the desired RPM.