NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

East valley shop to diagnose/ fix window issue

dbs1

04 Z that seems to be having issues with drivers window.  I've pulled the panel and could not see an obvious issue.  Put it back together and it will go up and down, but makes a dragging noise as it just about reaches full down and acts like its pushing the panel outward.  Ideas, or a shop in the east valley that is familiar to this kind of thing?

Guest badbobs95
35 minutes ago, dbs1 said:

04 Z that seems to be having issues with drivers window.  I've pulled the panel and could not see an obvious issue.  Put it back together and it will go up and down, but makes a dragging noise as it just about reaches full down and acts like its pushing the panel outward.  Ideas, or a shop in the east valley that is familiar to this kind of thing?

I do believe you need a new window regulator. They run $49 - $149 for new on ebay. What you described should not happen. The pressure is pushing it towards the inner panel for some reason. If you took it apart once you can replace it yourself and save a lot of money. I've done it and I'm not the brightest bulb. I have a friend that has a Corvette repair shop at his house by Broadway Rd and Val Vista. PM me if you want his info.

Might have one of the bolts out causing the regulator to push the cable out.  I would disassemble and run up and down and see if you can see what looks off.  Did the regulator on my C5 without problems.

joe@cpr.com

regulator failed. Super easy install and we can knock that out quickly for you. Only use an AC delco unit and get the new pigtail as the unit you get might have the newer style. 

Joe, I didn't realize you guys did this sort of thing.  I may take one more peek at it and see if something jumps out at me that may be causing it other then just needing a new regulator.

If I bring it in, will the $150 for the regulator and $100 labor get me that additional 50hp I need for the Mohave Mile as well?  Hahaha

With living up here in the white Mtns I'd like to be able to set up a time to get it to a shop, leave it while I go get lunch and come back and have it done.  If it needs a regulator, does anyone stock one that could make that scenario happen?

If I can replace a window regulator, anyone can. There are YouTube videos showing replacement on a C5 that will walk you through it.

joe@cpr.com
16 hours ago, dbs1 said:

Joe, I didn't realize you guys did this sort of thing.  I may take one more peek at it and see if something jumps out at me that may be causing it other then just needing a new regulator.

If I bring it in, will the $150 for the regulator and $100 labor get me that additional 50hp I need for the Mohave Mile as well?  Hahaha

With living up here in the white Mtns I'd like to be able to set up a time to get it to a shop, leave it while I go get lunch and come back and have it done.  If it needs a regulator, does anyone stock one that could make that scenario happen?

yup we do these items too. HP gains cannot be guaranteed :P 

Are you telling me that putting a new regulator in, is not going to get me an extra 100hp?  What about another cr sticker for the window.  Would that do it?   Hahaha.  I'm gonna take it apart and see if I can't fix it myself first or break it really good to justify the regulator that looks like a nitrous kit.  Amazon has them for $150 or $300, both delco units.  Can't tell why the price diff.

As a side note Joe, when is the next no fly @ Gilda bend?  Not sure I'm going to make it to the MM, especially if it appears I'm going to be 50 rwhp shy of 200mph.  That was the whole idea.

A word of advice. Get a black Sharpie and mark the position of the adjustment bolts on the door. That will give you a good idea where to set the adjustment bolts on the new regulator.

I've seen that suggestion and thank you for the reminder!  Going to try and get the panel off again this week and verify exactly what the issue is.

Got the drivers panel off again this morning.  With the panel off, the window goes up and down with no issue.  Just sliding the top of the panel in, without snapping it on around the door it's not bad, but has a sound as if it's rubbing against something as it gets almost all the way down, but I can't seem to locate what/where.  Ideas?

I may just leave the panel off and run it by a shop familiar enough with these issues to take a peek.  They may know just what/where to look?  I'm just not sure when I'm coming to the valley.  Those temps give me heat stroke just thinking about them.  I did my time in Hades for nigh 40 years before getting out of that place.  But knowledgable vette shops up here don't seem to exist.

Im not sure I want to waste Joes time on something this simple, when he could be adding mega hp to other vettes more worthy.

joe@cpr.com
17 hours ago, dbs1 said:

Are you telling me that putting a new regulator in, is not going to get me an extra 100hp?  What about another cr sticker for the window.  Would that do it?   Hahaha.  I'm gonna take it apart and see if I can't fix it myself first or break it really good to justify the regulator that looks like a nitrous kit.  Amazon has them for $150 or $300, both delco units.  Can't tell why the price diff.

As a side note Joe, when is the next no fly @ Gilda bend?  Not sure I'm going to make it to the MM, especially if it appears I'm going to be 50 rwhp shy of 200mph.  That was the whole idea.

Oct 8-9 is the next one. 

24 minutes ago, dbs1 said:

Got the drivers panel off again this morning.  With the panel off, the window goes up and down with no issue.  Just sliding the top of the panel in, without snapping it on around the door it's not bad, but has a sound as if it's rubbing against something as it gets almost all the way down, but I can't seem to locate what/where.  Ideas?

I may just leave the panel off and run it by a shop familiar enough with these issues to take a peek.  They may know just what/where to look?  I'm just not sure when I'm coming to the valley.  Those temps give me heat stroke just thinking about them.  I did my time in Hades for nigh 40 years before getting out of that place.  But knowledgable vette shops up here don't seem to exist.

Im not sure I want to waste Joes time on something this simple, when he could be adding mega hp to other vettes more worthy.

Call Joe or Michael at Classic Gold Auto in Tempe, set up an appointment so you can drive down.  They deal with that stuff all the time

Thx for all the replies and info guys,. Thx Joe for the date on NO fly zone.  That's the same date as the Mohave Mile.  I think I may just go there,( where it just has to be cooler then Gila Bend at that time of year), and just run the car the way it is, hope to crack 190mph and be done.  Thx.

• 3 weeks later...