NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C5 Oil pressure sensing unit. Who has tiny hands?

scottcolbath

scottcolbath

There's no way I can get my hands down in there to get this job done. Anyone local done this without removing the intake or cutting a hole in your cowl?

I cut  down a deep socket to make the job easier, but it's still super tight, and even if I did manage to get the old one out, I don't know how I would get the new one started.

S.C.

I tried a couple months ago, but the pcv hose is in the way too(there's a T-bracket mounted back there preventing the hose from easy removal). And I think one other. I gave up. A mechanic friend said he was able to get to it with the car lifted...he reached UP to get to it(which sounds more difficult than the videos). I didn't bother with that approach as I discovered most installed a relocating line when putting in a new OPSU, for e-z future replacement.

However you end up replacing it, make sure you use the one from O'Reilly.  In the 11 years I owned my c5, that was the best one.

I just remove the intake manifold to get to it. it takes less than 30mins and in the end I still have the skin attached to my knuckles. just make sure to reconnect the small hvac vacuum line when re-installing

MidNiteFury01

Try this, http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138260

The post has some additional steps, but following it is fairly easy and you'll know which can be skipped. Its very thorough and there are quicker ways of doing it, but in my experience quicker usually means higher risk of breaking things.

I did the remote sending unit as well, you can assembly your own for cheaper than the kit he installed, but its a very nice kit. Gauge looks good. You don't even have to use the gauge, but the sending unit is remote and easier to get the next time it fails. That little vacuum line is important to remember, easy to forget. 

scottcolbath

I got it done with some learning and experimenting. Next time around, I'm thinking it won't take more than 15 painless minutes. I'm happy to help anyone on the board who is having difficulty doing this. I think I have the process well sorted out without removing the intake or cutting a hole in your car (as seen elsewhere).

The only problem I had was losing my first pressure sensor down into the abyss of the back engine bay, never to be seen again, I'm sure. I did end up going to O'Riley's the second time. I made the mistake of going to Auto Zone first time. I got the good brass sensor in there now.

S.C.

Cherrypoppins
On 7/17/2016 at 7:35 AM, scottcolbath said:

There's no way I can get my hands down in there to get this job done. Anyone local done this without removing the intake or cutting a hole in your cowl?

I cut  down a deep socket to make the job easier, but it's still super tight, and even if I did manage to get the old one out, I don't know how I would get the new one started.

S.C.

I did this job in a 98 convertible corvette cut the hole in the fire wall. No one will ever know but you. Just glue the fire wall piece back when your done. I tried to do it the other way and it is impossible. Cut the hole my friend trust me.

scottcolbath
19 hours ago, Cherrypoppins said:

Well, I did it with no cutting, and I could do it again in no time at all. I learned, adapted and all that shit.

S.C.