NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Out of state purchase (registration)

Desertdawg

Desertdawg

If I buy a new RV in Calif. how does the registration thing work bringing it back into Az?

when we bought the vette, the dealer met us at the state line to sign the papers so there was no sale in Calif. but I need to buy the RV at the dealer to do a through PDI..

When I bought mine in Ohio it was registered there, and I paid taxes there. When I registered it here I received credit for the taxes paid in Ohio and paid the difference..

Azmotorhead

In 05 when I bought my new truck at a dodge dealer. I paid taxes there in Ca. when I drove it home the next day I went to the
DMV here in Mesa and had to pay Tax on it again. I did get credit on my state tax return that year for paying twice.

Desertdawg

So did you get the total back that you paid in Calif. ?

I have the option of a stateline delivery for about $600, but that will screw up the PDI, if anything needs fixing it will be up to me to then haul it to an approved repair shop for warranty work... Warrant work is handled way different than the point of sale dealer trying to please me by fixing it right then to get my signature to buy it...

Azmotorhead

Yes it was given as a credit on my state tax return.

Call (yeah good joke I know) the DMV and ask about taxes /registration etc. Ask if your dealer knows the ins and outs.

I know several people on the big forum have done auto purchases and havnt had to do the double pay 

Extender32

When I bought the vette in vegas, they gave me the option to pay NV sales tax or pay the sales tax in AZ when I regustered the car. I chose to pay the NV sales tax and I wound up paying more in NV than I would have in AZ. I suggest doing a comparison between the 2 states and opt to pay the lower of the 2.

Desertdawg

I'll have to talk to the dealer again but I don't think Calif allows that option, pay their fees or don't buy it in their state. 

I could be wrong but that was the impression I got. 

old yeller

Dawg, If I remember correctly, as long as the Ca. Tax is equal or greater than AZ tax you just need to show AZ MVD you paid tax already on the vehicle.

Don't buy Ca plates. Either get a trip permit from the dealer or get the VIN from the dealer and get a temp permit from Service Arizona and put it on the rv and drive it home.

When I bought in MI (2007), I paid their tax. Most, but not all, states have a reciprocal tax agreement, so they don't have to mess with sending money to each other. Mi was less than AZ, plus I didn't need to pay any local, city, or county taxes either place. I got a 15 day permit from MI and got it renewed once before I got home. When I arrived in AZ the permit had expired, so I got a temporary here for $2 or $3 that was good for 90 days. Naturally, that was such a good deal that I didn't get a permanent registration until near the end of the 90 days.

old yeller

https://azdor.gov/About/FAQs/Individual.aspx    ***click on the drop down menu for FAQ category and click on use tax, then purchase of a vehicle*****

If you purchase a vehicle from an out-of-state dealer or manufacturer, the Department of Transportation will require, at the time of vehicle registration, proof that tax was paid in the state of purchase and that the amount of state tax paid is equal to or greater than the applicable Arizona use tax rate. If tax was not paid in the state of purchase or was less than the Arizona use tax, the Department of Transportation will require that the use tax be paid at the time you register the vehicle.

Hope the above link works.  Straight from the Arizona Dept. of Revenue.

You might check to see if you would be paying city and county taxes in addition to state taxes in CA. According to the AZ tax code, retail purchases made by out of state customers from a non-AZ location (i.e. not in person) are not charged any tax if the product is shipped to the customer by a normal common carrier. If that follows true in CA, you could pay a service to deliver it to AZ and only pay the 5.6% AZ tax. Depending on the CA city/county, the tax rate to purchase and drive back to AZ could be as high as 10%. That's a $4400 difference on a $100K purchase, which makes the $600 delivery to Ehrenburg a killer deal.

An alternate is to buy from an Oregon dealer, since they have no state sales tax and you could plan a road trip around the purchase. You do need to verify with the dealer if they charge city or county taxes.

Another alternate would be to take factory delivery, which means the selling dealer could cut a really big chunk off his price. Indiana is the hot spot for RV manufacturers with Elkhart being the epicenter. So if you found a dealer whose location was not in a city or special tax district in Mohave county (5.85% the lowest in AZ) or a similar deal in OR, MT, AK, NH, or DE that have 0% sales tax and just pay the 5.6% AZ tax when registering.

The real challenge is getting the biggest bang for the buck on whatever you want to buy. Once you've negotiated the best base price, then work on the shipping and taxes.

The $5K difference between local dealers & taxes and the MI dealer that I saved, easily paid for the flight and the hotels/fuel/food/etc for the 30 day/5500 mile trip back to AZ.

Bottom line: Look at ALL the options.

Tom,

Isn't there a rule at the car auctions if they are trucked out no AZ tax.  If you drive it out you get taxed?

At the January auctions you have to show proof of transport out of state.

Technically if Billy's transporter offered to drive it out of state, and gave you a transport order then there would be no state sales tax.

I think if you take delivery in AZ they avoid the Calif sales tax but you won;t avoid AZ's.

That's why you see so many RV's with Oregon tags - no sales tax.

6 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

You might check to see if you would be paying city and county taxes in addition to state taxes in CA. According to the AZ tax code, retail purchases made by out of state customers from a non-AZ location (i.e. not in person) are not charged any tax if the product is shipped to the customer by a normal common carrier. If that follows true in CA, you could pay a service to deliver it to AZ and only pay the 5.6% AZ tax. Depending on the CA city/county, the tax rate to purchase and drive back to AZ could be as high as 10%. That's a $4400 difference on a $100K purchase, which makes the $600 delivery to Ehrenburg a killer deal.

An alternate is to buy from an Oregon dealer, since they have no state sales tax and you could plan a road trip around the purchase. You do need to verify with the dealer if they charge city or county taxes.

Another alternate would be to take factory delivery, which means the selling dealer could cut a really big chunk off his price. Indiana is the hot spot for RV manufacturers with Elkhart being the epicenter. So if you found a dealer whose location was not in a city or special tax district in Mohave county (5.85% the lowest in AZ) or a similar deal in OR, MT, AK, NH, or DE that have 0% sales tax and just pay the 5.6% AZ tax when registering.

The real challenge is getting the biggest bang for the buck on whatever you want to buy. Once you've negotiated the best base price, then work on the shipping and taxes.

The $5K difference between local dealers & taxes and the MI dealer that I saved, easily paid for the flight and the hotels/fuel/food/etc for the 30 day/5500 mile trip back to AZ.

Bottom line: Look at ALL the options.

My father delivers RV trailers from Elkhart, IN, to people's doors all around this country.

Desertdawg

Ted, Questions...

is your father under contract or is he available.?

any specific brand or dealer he recommends ?

does he haul 5th wheels ?

yeah I've looked at the mid-west dealers next to the factories and they offer some smoking prices, but since I'm looking at 5th wheels I can't fly and drive, I'd have to drive both ways to get it. Using a shipper is about the only other way... Once I add in their cost the smoking deal starts to Peter out...