NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Anyone here good with stereos

chas4570

Thinking of upgrading at least part of the '04 sound system.  I have some components already that I would like to see if can be used.  Might want to stay with factory head unit but I do have two aftermarket older units that are very nice.  Anyone here good with this stuff or know of someone or shop that is and would be willing to incorporate some of what I already have?

Thank you.

Chas :burnout 

My 2002 Bose stereo started to malfunction. My research show that the C5 Corvette stereos all work together and you can't replace components with non original pieces. You're going to end up replacing the head unit wiring, speakers, and amplifier.

I got skilz... I just did this one last week. Turned out sweet!

Sorry... I had to.

car-audio-fail-install-stereo-00.jpg

22 minutes ago, old yeller said:

Doesn't Timmeh know a good installer?? :smilelol

I'm sure he's going to chime in shortly now.

Well guys and gals, this is how I see it, whether you feel I am right or wrong, at this point it doesn't matter anymore.  I have asked several times for assistance here.  Yes, it would have been nice to have had some help and maybe saved a few dollars.  I also thought that it would have been an opportunity to meet and get to know some of you that I have not met or really know.  I was going to provide food and refreshments and thought that besides getting something done on my car with the assistance of those that know more than I, a chance for meeting someone I did not know and the growth of friendships was present.  Apparently, I am very mistaken as to the reason this group exists and maybe so are some of you.  I have owned a Corvette since I was twenty one, soon to be sixty.  I remember getting together to help each other, have some laughs  and enjoy each others company.  Apparently, things have changed in the Corvette community.  

There have been some postings on this site regarding interest and participation, or the lack of both.  Maybe the sincere willingness to be one as a group has faded from this organization.

Again too, maybe I just did not fit in from the get go.  If so, my apologies to you all.

Sincerest best wishes to all I have met and those I haven't.

Chas

Slow down partner. I thought I was being helpful letting you know that you couldn't reuse your factory head unit with aftermarket parts. I must have missed part of your post where you asked for help in getting together for an install.

You absolutely can use your head unit with after market parts.

I upgraded my '01 with infinity's in the doors and a 10" sub in the back running off an amp under the passenger seat all connected to the stock head unit.

I wanted my setup to sound good but I daily drive the vette and didn't want some flashy new head unit begging to be stolen...

I can point you in the right direction on what you have/need. Might cost you a few bucks in parts... and maybe a few beers if I come help :beer:

Guest badbobs95

Hang in there, pretty soon Chad will chime in and suggest you start a go-fund-me account and pay a professional like he was so kind to do for me.

12 hours ago, P51tj said:

I can tell you who NOT to go to... "BLK Majik".....That is all...

I don't recall what happened between you and him, but he changed out the stereo in my C4 and I never had a problem...

2 hours ago, Big Tom said:

I don't recall what happened between you and him, but he changed out the stereo in my C4 and I never had a problem...

Lots o' cut/hacked/damaged wires.......bad bad news

If you're going to replace just the head unit without changing the speakers right away, you'll need something like this before you even begin to take things apart. 

g120SVi2004-F.jpg

You can get that at Crutchfileds or maybe someplace cheaper if you do a google search.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-x9FM07QZnoI/p_120SVI2004/Axxess-XSVI-2004-Wiring-Interface.html

If you're going to change the head unit and the speakers at the same time then you won't need that. It's actuallly pretty easy to hook up and wire. I replaced my front and rear speakers along with the head unit and left the little tweeter thingies in the front. I have the adaptor still hooked up and don't have any issues. I'm not a stereo guru by any means though.

8 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

Lots o' cut/hacked/damaged wires.......bad bad news

This occurred in the main wire harness to the car!!! Talked to him right after the install since I couldn't get the car to move and he ran and was NOT to heard of again!!! I paid, he ran! ... Then I paid again to get the harness repaired.

3 hours ago, P51tj said:

This occurred in the main wire harness to the car!!! Talked to him right after the install since I couldn't get the car to move and he ran and was NOT to heard of again!!! I paid, he ran! ... Then I paid again to get the harness repaired.

Damn, I didn't know that...  I never looked under the dash...

11 hours ago, Big Tom said:

Damn, I didn't know that...  I never looked under the dash...

IIRC 4-5 severed wires and 3-4 cut wires. This was at the firewall where the bundle passes through. So if running new power wires please be overly cautious in this area!!!

12 minutes ago, P51tj said:

IIRC 4-5 severed wires and 3-4 cut wires. This was at the firewall where the bundle passes through. So if running new power wires please be overly cautious in this area!!!

Car is gone almost 3 years...