NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Where can I get a Trailer weighed?

Big Tom

As the title says, I'm wondering what this rig really weighs as it sits.

Specs for the Trailer and Bike put it at under 1200#

I'd like to find a place on the West side before I put the Bike back in the garage.

Aborted Trip 002.JPG

Tom,

How does that cover stay on it at 80 mph without chaffing the paint?  I tried stretch wrap on mine and it peeled right off in an hour.  

IMG_5689.JPGIMG_5692.JPG

Any Farm/Ag supply outfits anywhere near?  They may have a scale you could roll up on, just tell them you're trying to figure out how much chicken feed you can transport

What about the city dump? Bribe the scale guy?  If I still worked at a pit with Otto Trucking, I'd let you weigh in. The sand/rock/gravel pit is a good idea.

Any DOT guys got those mobile per-wheel scales ???

2 hours ago, JohnU said:

Tom,

How does that cover stay on it at 80 mph without chaffing the paint?  I tried stretch wrap on mine and it peeled right off in an hour.  

IMG_5689.JPGIMG_5692.JPG

John,  I take the cover off when it's in tow. I only use it when it's parked, to keep birds and prying eyes off of it. The stone guard is a must.

3 hours ago, hiperf406 said:

Most truck stops have weigh scales but that will cost you.

Yer correct.  I called the TA travel center in Tonopah. Their scales are open 24/7 and the cost is $10.50.

The Flying J truck stop on 67th/I-10 also has certified scales for about the same price. If you live in Glendale, the city dump will weigh it for free.

Well that was a bust...  I hauled the rig over to the TA truck stop cause I didn't want to deal with the traffic heading East.

When I got there I went in and asked to weigh just the trailer with the bike on it.

They said no problem and directed me to the scale.

I disconnected the trailer pulled the car off the scale and went inside to pay the tab and get my weight.

Much to my dismay the scale would not register the weight because the trailer was not Heavy enough.  WTF?

So I went home and unloaded the bike and put everything away..

10 minutes ago, Big Tom said:

Well that was a bust...  I hauled the rig over to the TA truck stop cause I didn't want to deal with the traffic heading East.

When I got there I went in and asked to weigh just the trailer with the bike on it.

They said no problem and directed me to the scale.

I disconnected the trailer pulled the car off the scale and went inside to pay the tab and get my weight.

Much to my dismay the scale would not register the weight because the trailer was not Heavy enough.  WTF?

So I went home and unloaded the bike and put everything away..

You could have weighed both the car with trailer and then the car by itself. Simple math. Because they knew the problem, they'd probably only charged for one of the two.

7 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

You could have weighed both the car with trailer and then the car by itself. Simple math. Because they knew the problem, they'd probably only charged for one of the two.

Yeah that sounds easy doesn't it?

7 hours ago, Big Tom said:

Yeah that sounds easy doesn't it?

Sure does, but I'm guessing the frustration clouded logic.

49 minutes ago, HOXXOH said:

Sure does, but I'm guessing the frustration clouded logic.

Not frustration... Had more to do with the line of Semis behind me and a scale operator who looked like she wasn't out of High School yet. I had already dropped the trailer so after re hooking I would have had to get back in line. I didn't need to know the weight all that bad..

"What is the minimum weight for your scale dear?  I don't know sir, it just tells me on the screen that it's under weight"