NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Going to the Isle of Man !!

Going to the Isle of Man later this month for 10 days of Real Road Racing. This has been a Holy Grail / Bucket List goal of mine since I learned of these races as a teenager. My best Brit friend has raced vintage bikes there for most of his life. He owns a stable of 12 classics (BSA, Matchless, Norton, Manx, Triumphs) and will be campaigning 2 Goldstar singles in both 350 and 500 TT vintage classes. He has been helicoptered off the Southern 100 twice and though he turned 70 in March is still racing hard. We are going for the full 10 days as he and Stuart (Team Dry) give it hell one more time. He flies helicopters as well so I get to do that too. Later going to tour up North and visit Hadrian's Wall and stay at Otterburn Castle for a few nights as well then finish with a few days in London. I promise to wrap my smile around a few pints for you all.

Was not sure if anybody follows TT motorcycle racing or not so I thought I'd put this out there. 

Pics with ACE grab is a requirement!!! Have a blast and stay outta the road!!!

Desertdawg

How cool is that?  

Be sure to keep us updated on you adventures. 

corvettech

thats the best show on earth! post up lots of pics were counting on you

Cool,  The you tube movies will scare you to jump up in your chair watching them. 

• 1 month later...

Back from Isle of Man. This is a must do for any MC Real Road Racing aficionado. The Manx family we stayed with offered up a detached flat and a hearty English breakfast each morning for a daily rate of 30 quid. Great folks who soon became friends.....she even surprised us and did our laundry. Drove us so we could wrap our smiles around some pints of good ale one evening. Got in an electri train to the summit of Snaefel and a steam engine ride as well! My mate Vic and his wife stayed in their caravan parked in the race paddock we were 7 minutes away in the digs they had arranged. The atmosphere there was as you'd want - fun people, a cacophony of bike noise and a happy vibe. Vic turned 70 in March and had last raced here 10 years ago (taking a break after his best friend John Loder was killed on the course). Brought 2 classics - both early 1970's BSA Goldies, one a 350 and one a 500. I had a mechanic's pass (ID) so helped push bikes through "scrutineering" before each race, started and warmed up each bike as scheduled. Nothing like the roar of these classics on the straights. We had 2 did not finish due to failing front brake and fuel leak (spigot broke within tank, nearly a fireball) and one 8th place finish. The 350 was heavily outclassed by K400 Hondas (hard to believe they race these now as "classics"). The 500 was "quite lively" and Vic passed many bikes in the tight twisties. The Pre TT Classic is run on the Southern 100 Course. Got to meet many great riders including Jim Curry who kindly autographed a copy of his book, "A Lap of My Life". Met Dave Nourish who took the Westlake engine to higher performance levels (the Nourish engine) still active in his 80's. His son Andy helped me pull a side car prank on my wife.

Then on to TT practice where we set up at the base of Bray Hill and watched Superbikes, Lightweights and Outfits (sidecars) race by at 165 MPH. Guys like Dunlop and Hutchie were lapping the whole island in approximately 18 minutes and averaging mid to high 130 MPH runs. Real Road Racing when viewed feet away is a visceral experience, we watched from outside a pub in Kirk Michael (The MITRE) and the riders went right through town with helmets within a foot of the wall, full lean. My mate Vic and I took the rental car around the road course and it was fascinating hearing him recite what the road will do next, what to expect, "go from left gutter to right, full acceleration, road straightens its own way out" for the full length of the course. Vic has raced here from 1988 forward with the exception of the 10 year hiatus and he still remembers it sightline to sightline. These guys are hard men. He sent us home with lots of memories, photos and even gave me his finishing medal from this year.

I am trying to collate some pictures and movies. His lowest ranking that I have seen, in the bike stable, is 21 on a  Matisse Rickman with a Norton engine. He was riding as number 70 which was fitting as it matched his age. Vic had completed 6 races this year to be eligible racing at Donnington and Cadwell Park. He had to qualify to race the Southern 100 and started in 10th. He is my hero being able to fold up tight on those bikes, ride like hell back to back....an inspiration for fitness. I will be ordering the 2016 video (I have last year's) and some of the classics from DUKE videos. They seem to have the arm lock on the Real Road Racing stuff including historical stuff featuring greats like Joey Dunlop and Mike Hailwood.

Got back to England then drove North to Northumberland to hike portions of Hadrian's Wall. Stayed in Otterburn at the castle....great rates, super folks, good food and drink. Met the local Vicar, as early architecture interests me, in one of 4 churches he leads. He sent us over to another church in Edelson where the columns of stone show grooves from swords being sharpened on them. The grave yard had a few skull and bones engravings. If you like rolling green hills, tunnels of trees and genuine people I highly recommend this area.

London sucked due to the crowds but the parks were nice, the architecture awesome and our friendship with Vic and his wife Pat.