NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

I now have a cool car

Taking a moment to offer special thanks to 2 members here. Ed, you made the impossible parts search possible and without your help this upgrade was dead in the garage. Everything we needed and it arrived in plenty of time. Thank-you so very much.

Parker, the car is now capable of doing just what I wanted and I can trust it. I always enjoy getting to learn from you and having fun doing it. Long azzed day and the result is fantastic, That "McGiver" squeeze bottle was an awesome trick. 

You two are rock stars and I sincerely hope you feel appreciated for what you did for me and the car. It is this kind of synergy that makes this forum special to me. GO ACE!!

The wingtip speed framulator was way out of synch with the 13th module from the sun (as it turned out). This explained my C6 refusing to be cool when going slow. Mr. DeWitt and two of the Spahl twins climbed under the hood and created a love child bearing both TOC and now EOC (something an A6 does not come with). The fruits of this labor are 184 degrees (coolant) at cruise and 212 MAX after 30 minutes stop and go (pounding on it in 1st and 2nd). Cruise temperature dropped 14 degrees F from a norm of 198 and MAX temp dropped 23 degrees F from a norm of 235 in abusive stop and go traffic. My car is cool.

Should have asked before buying. The dual spals cool worse than factory. Would have been better off just mounting the factory fan and saving $300-400 on the spals. 

joe@cpr.com

Yup stock fans work amazing. But if you want to upgrade do the brushless they are the end all be all solution to cooling. But dewitts makes nice stuff, it's all I sell. 

Just sad that so many people get suckered into the dual fan upgrade, which cools worse than the factory fan. It is a decent option for a hot rod, or someone who doesn't have a stock fan, or needs a slim fan to fit something, but on a vette, there is no reason to downgrade to the dual fans.

Only fans worth upgrading to on a c5/c6 are the 17" nuova or D3 dual PWM setup. Neither are cheap, but they actually improve performance. 

Interesting read, for certain.

I agree that the current brushless solution is the pinnacle of performance currently (no pun) available to us in the world of electric cooling fans. 

One of the perks of being me is the ability to access GM engineering documents and understanding the design and capability of the stock cooling fan. When looking at the Spal upgrade, the CFM capacity and decreased current draw of the dual cooling fan solution is appealing not only from the stance of potential airflow capability of the dual fans, but also lower amperage loads, increasing the longevity of factory components such as the much maligned fan connector that can melt under high amperage loads.

Potential is important, because design versus application, coupled with potential is an important consideration. Football plays are designed to generate first downs, application can prevent this from occurring. We all have the potential to be skinny, non-smoking, non-drinking, tree hugging Prius drivers, but we are not.  Paper and theory, airflow capability versus performance are not always so cut and dried.

Fans and CFM and all of the other electrical components aside, the dual fan upgrade is a strong consideration due to the design of the shroud.  The dual fan arrangement allows for the addition of numerous airflow bypass flaps which allow airflow to remain laminar and cover the majority of radiator surface area at speeds when the fans become inconsequential, and perhaps, even detrimental. Static measurements vary drastically in a dynamic environment.

Laminar airflow and the ability of providing it across the largest possible area of the radiator cannot be overlooked or denied.

These two considerations coupled together, CFM potential and the ability to provide much greater laminar airflow through the radiator at speed along with the intended application of the vehicle, are why the particular choice was made.

Thanks again for the comments and different viewpoints.  Discussion like this is what makes the forum a nifty place to visit.

Comparing bench numbers, without restriction makes the dual fans look decent. 

I've ran them, had them on for 2 years. Put stock fan back on, and it cooled much better. Real world experience, and not just mine says the stock fan works MUCH better. Not even close in real world testing even if they match up ok on paper. 

Connector thing is easy enough to fix and shouldn't be a reason to spend $400+ on fans when it can be solved for <$5. 

I am not discounting your experience, but mine differs, and I appreciate your point of view but when considering a customer's desires, the intended application and the methods to achieve those objectives, I do not regret the options that were chosen. :)

Agreed. Seems to be working for his application. Mine is a far more extreme application, with a big FMIC, iron block, etc.

On April 25, 2016 at 3:15 PM, harleypower69 said:

my C6 refusing to be cool when going slow.

WAIT .... WTF did you say? What does this word slow mean  ????

13 hours ago, Desertdawg said:

WAIT .... WTF did you say? What does this word slow mean  ????

I never experienced the sensation of slow until I owned a Corvette. "Slow" is the absence of fast generally caused by vehicular density (AKA traffic) or the POPO :-).

20 hours ago, Unreal said:

Comparing bench numbers, without restriction makes the dual fans look decent. 

I've ran them, had them on for 2 years. Put stock fan back on, and it cooled much better. Real world experience, and not just mine says the stock fan works MUCH better. Not even close in real world testing even if they match up ok on paper. 

Connector thing is easy enough to fix and shouldn't be a reason to spend $400+ on fans when it can be solved for <$5. 

Dual fans really helped my C3 and seemed like the right thing for my C6 and how it is used. My numbers have improved and I am happy and now feel I can trust this car in AZ heat and traffic. Debate is the genesis of learning on any forum. I am glad you are having success with your set up on your car.

13 minutes ago, harleypower69 said:

I never experienced the sensation of slow until I owned a Corvette. "Slow" is the absence of fast generally caused by vehicular density (AKA traffic) or the POPO :-).

Haha. Nicely explained. :thumbs

20 minutes ago, harleypower69 said:

Dual fans really helped my C3 and seemed like the right thing for my C6 and how it is used. My numbers have improved and I am happy and now feel I can trust this car in AZ heat and traffic. Debate is the genesis of learning on any forum. I am glad you are having success with your set up on your car.

Comparing a c3 fan setup to a c6 fan setup is completely irrelevant. Either way you spent extra money for worse cooling compared to a factory fan that you already owned. If you did it to avoid a melting connector which is easily fixed other ways, cool, it is just one expensive way to do that with other downsides. I'm not the only one that has had the same exact experience. Hell the guy I sold my dual fans to used them for 2 months before going back to stock because car ran hotter with them. I'm sure Joe can fill in plenty of customers with same exact experience. The radiator/eoc/toc is why your car is running cooler. If you got a 30% cooling increase from that and a 10% decrease from the fan, that is still better. 

Just silly to see people wasting money to downgrade performance. If you have money to burn, I accept donations. 

^ "Comparing a c3 fan setup to a c6 fan setup is completely irrelevant." - Unreal.

However, it is relevant to me, it is my life experience and I am quite content with Mr. DeWitt's radiator and the DeWitt company decision to use Spahl's fans. This combination worked great for me in the past and I stick with what works for me. If it had no merit then it would have died on the vine and not been a go to upgrade for all these years across multiple vehicle platforms. Sure this new brushless fan is great and I see GM is using it for the C7. I also read with great interest your thread about the new fan and how the custom fabrication worked so well in your car, it was actually how I learned of it and I thank you for that shared knowledge. Please do note -  I have 100% respect for Joe and his team and the knowledge he freely shares here and that is without question.

"Either way you spent extra money for worse cooling compared to a factory fan that you already owned" - Unreal

I believe my original post addressed improvement in my C6"s operating parameters quite clearly. More importantly I am happy.

"If you did it to avoid a melting connector which is easily fixed other ways, cool, it is just one expensive way to do that with other downsides." - Unreal

If you think I lived to be a 61 year old H-D rider without having fiscal and mechanical smarts then you are mistaken.

"Just silly to see people wasting money to downgrade performance." - Unreal

Unreal, I don't know you and really know only a few members here. I learn so much from this local forum and enjoy every interaction with the members I meet. I will tell you frankly that your inferring I am somehow "silly" for improving my C6 for my intended use is disrespectful and borderline insulting. My numbers are validating my decision to go this route.

I am happy for you and your choices with your car and have made that repeatedly clear. Quite happy for Spahl's development of the new brushless fan and their new contract with GM too!

You have chosen to take a long piss on my decision and I am not getting wet, OK. When it is apples to apples, same car same application then I learn from the hive. This is not the case here and has

become an exercise in keyboard masturbation where no one will be satisfied.

Feel free to PM me if you feel the need.

Dear harleypower69,

Im sure Chad would love to show off his masturbatory expertise of the keyboards. I hear he even has a nearly full tube of KY jelly!!

CHAD??

Too funny how VERY personal things get to folks. Even when it's not their build. 

I've found it best to just ignore it. 

SLAMMER