NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

When The "cap Hits The Fan" ??

Phill's Vette

Phill's Vette

Some months ago I replaced my radiator cap then went for a test drive to warm her up; first corner I turned - BAM, CHINK, CLUNK and THUNK! I thought one of my kitties found his way to my engine compartment :ack but looked and found nothing. Looked down the street and found my old radiator cap - dented; the cap hit the fan and bounced all around under the hood, no damage to nothing that I could see then except to my forhead :banghead .

Last week a quarter sized star shaped crack appeared in the paint on the hood :chris:chris:chris:chris and I found the mark on the inside. Close inspection doesn't show cracks in the fiberglass (under hood side) so maybe just the paint is cracked??

QUESTIONS:

* Would the surface have just flexed and the paint cracked or could there be cracks in the fiberglass?

* How can I repair this so it does not start to affect the sournding paint?

Thanks! :huh

Paint Side

3ywzc75.jpg

Under Side

2zy9d7q.jpg

If Joe (Sloryde) doesn't chime in I give him a call at Classic Gold Bady Shop in Tempe. I'm sure he can give you advise. My guess is you'll have to repaint/refinish the hood. Good Luck!

Classic Gold Bady Shop in Tempe.

:chris

I hate to say it, but thats not an easy paint fix without some touchup work. it's not going to buff out.

I doubt the fiberglass is cracked, it probably just flexed enough to fracture the paint.

That area will have to be repainted. It sounds like its pretty centered on the hood. That being the the case, the damaged area can be repaired and kept small. The paint can then be applied over the repair and blended out towards the fenders, and the whole hood clear-coated. This way the repair will be relatively inexpensive with no paint match issues. So to answer your question, Yes the hood will have to get painted. No, its not a big/expensive deal and the repair will be undetectable. As far as pricing goes, I would have to see it in person to give you an accurate figure. See Ya...Joe

Guest 1FASTC4

I had similar damage to a spot on my hood and Classic Gold did a beautiful job in repairing it. I am confident you'll be very satisfied w/ their work.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm in the same bonehead club as you, Phill. I once left a 1/2" drive ratchet on top of the intake and dropped the hood on it. The vette is in a separate garage and it was literally 2 months before I went back in to look the results of my foolishness. I'm not sure if having company makes you feel better but I hope so.

Steve

Phill's Vette
I had similar damage to a spot on my hood and Classic Gold did a beautiful job in repairing it. I am confident you'll be very satisfied w/ their work.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm in the same bonehead club as you, Phill. I once left a 1/2" drive ratchet on top of the intake and dropped the hood on it. The vette is in a separate garage and it was literally 2 months before I went back in to look the results of my foolishness. I'm not sure if having company makes you feel better but I hope so.

Steve

Steve,

I know it's wrong but it does make me feel a little better :devil Thank you! :thumbs

I will call Classic Gold and talk to them.

Thanks everyone!

Phill B