NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Spammer email speeding tickets.

Desertdawg

From Corvette Mike's Thundering Thursday email. 

The scammers keep coming up with new ways to trick you. This is a new scam sends fake traffic tickets via email to actual speeding drivers.

What makes this scam particularly alarming is that the emails contain accurate traffic data, including street names, speed limits and actual driving speeds. The people who received the emails were actually speeding at the time and location noted in the scam emails. Since the emails contain legitimate information, people are tricked into thinking they’re genuine and are more likely to click through the email. The police suspect that the traffic data is being obtained through a traffic app that tracks phone GPS data, though exactly which app isn’t clear.

Rule #1 If you get an email from the government (e.g. the IRS, the FBI or local police) it is a scam. That is unless you asked them to email you. The government will only send you notices only via the US Mail Service, as, in most cases, the government does not even have your email address.

As none of our friends speed, I am sure you all can ignore this new scam.

Thanks for the heads up and I always follow the posted speed limit.

No. But just like Greg. I always double the posted speed limit.

errr ... I think that's what he said !!!

I work for the government and send dozens of official notices by email every day...but not speeding tickets. :P

11 hours ago, Desertdawg said:

No. B ut just like Greg. I always double the posted speed limit.

No i said i always follow the pozted Speed limit.

11 hours ago, Desertdawg said:

No. But just like Greg. I always double the posted speed limit.

Occasionally I have a mild dyslexic interpretive issue that causes me to read things like 25 MPH signs as 52 MPH. However, I have never violated this DIC warning, even though I've come close a few times when it popped up.

Man, they're more caution lights on that dash than I ever saw when flying the C-141 or KC-10.