C6z H/C Build

zook62

I've mentioned it in various threads but I finally got around to fixing the heads and installing some go-fast parts on the Z. I have to give a huge shout out to Joe @ CPR. I don't even know why he offers some of the services/support that he does but I certainly am grateful for it and will without a doubt do business with him in the future. Joe provided with me tech support up the ying yang after I bought the parts to install myself. Never any "I told you so" comments either. :)

Pretty standard build for a c6z and very similar to CPR's Alpha package.

-K&N CAI

-WCCH Stage II heads w/porting, SS exh valves and dual spring Brian Tooley springs (swapped cores with CPR)

-CPR Alpha Cam (240/254 if I remember right) 

-Hinson 1-7/8 long tubes with catless 3" x-pipe. 

-Borla Atak axle back

-Nic D tune

-Stock intake manifold

-Stock throttle body 

Baseline dyno was done at Dyno Comp's dyno day a couple months ago in Scottsdale. Car made 446/425 on a Dyno Dynamics dyno with the K&N and Borla already in place. Last night after the tune it made 560/499 at Pro Dyno. Roughly +115rwhp/75rwtq from heads/cam/headers/tune. I'd like to take it back and run it on the same baseline dyno just to overlay the graphs and see outright gains, but needless to say I'm very pleased with the results. :):):):):) 

IMG_0272.mov

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

joe@cpr.com

Thank you sir! Glad you love the cam and can't thank you enough for working with us. I gladly cater to the diy crowd and will help any way I can. No register for omega and run this thing in the half mile next weekend!! 

21 hours ago, joe@cpr.com said:

Thank you sir! Glad you love the cam and can't thank you enough for working with us. I gladly cater to the diy crowd and will help any way I can. No register for omega and run this thing in the half mile next weekend!! 

I don't know if I'll have it out that early but I will have to squeeze some good numbers out of it soon!

17 minutes ago, Azmotorhead said:

Nice gains!! Hows it idle and low speed drive-ability?

Thanks! I've unfortunately been out of town and haven't driven it yet, but my 70 yr old father who took it to the tune appointment for me while I've been out of town said it drives great. No bucking of stupidness down low. I was sold on the cam after I heard that report from not one but two people who run it. Joe did a good number on this cam. I look forward to driving it tomorrow when I get back and I'll be sure to report on it here. 

Does the dyno video work for you guys? I have an idle clip, pre-tune, that I can share if the other video uploaded properly. 

On March 3, 2016 at 7:22 PM, Azmotorhead said:

Nice gains!! Hows it idle and low speed drive-ability?

So I've had a couple days in the car. 1 drive in traffic and 1 day to and from work. The car is so very different... I love the hell out of it. Power is fantastic. It will take some getting used to but more than anything I'm suprised how linear it feels. I was expecting delivery to be a little violent between 3-5k rpm, but it's not. Very usable fat pile of hp, even on the street. 

Drivability is good, but I do think there is a little opportunity left. I could be wrong, but I've emailed Nic and will probably talk to Joe next week to see if I'm crazy or if some minor tweaks can still be had. The only reason I say that is that right off idle it's responsive and crisp but between 1500-1800 I feel like the car is surging just a bit and trying to find what it should do. Particularly with ~25% throttle input. Again, I could be wrong, but the fact that it is better at a lower rpm tells me a minor tweak would take care of it. I can tell you the cam doesn't buck and kick at low rpm. Pretty much off idle. Again, what I'm feeling I would call surging or a noticible rich/lean condition in the span of a very narrow range. I just happen to feel it as I cross that range all the time putting to and from work. 

Hey guys I just want to update after speaking with Nic D and having a few more days in the car. Nic confirmed with me that the area of concern was definitely addressed with the tune. I'm also not sure if the car goes through any kind of a learning phase after disconnecting the battery (had to just before the drive I first reported on), but I feel like those areas are smoother right now. It may not be the case but rather that I've adapted to it, but if that's the case I'm not sure what it was that bothered me in the first place cause I really don't drive it much different than before. 

What I can say is I'm very impressed with this cam and the package as a whole. I think the driveability is good period, but especially for a cam that's not so small and makes such good power. I'd put a plug in for this cam to anyone who is looking for that perfect balance of maintaining good driveability while still achieving very good numbers on the dyno. This package (including the IM and TB) really isn't far from some of the hp of some of the "big cam" builds I've seen. Very impressive.