NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Another first:

F22trainer

Well, after last weeks harrowing adventure into the blizzard of '16,

IMG_0490_zpsvoyie7hl.jpg

I made my first Trans US flight as PIC, from Vero Beach Florida to Portland, OR. Dodging more adverse wintery weather in the Rockies via the south route thru TX, AZ and then up the west coast. A total of about 13 hours flight time. Left Vero at 0900 landed in Phoenix at 7 PM, overnight at Carefree Sky Ranch and Carefree Resort. Wheels up again at 0930 yesterday, arrived at 2 PM in Portland, and then Southwest Airlines home in time for what was a sporty landing at Sky Harbor and the rain last night. Cruised at 28,000 ft most of the trip and despite the headwinds did pretty good, with a 274 true airspeed and ground speeds around 220 knots.

Now I have a week off...whew!

IMG_0501_zpsveopnit8.jpg

4 minutes ago, P51tj said:

Welcome home and nice ride ya got there!!!

She had a whopping 100 hours of Hobbs time on her! Enjoyed the XM radio when we weren't playing with the other new stuff. Owner upgraded from a Cessna 210 he has owned since the late 1980's.

Also snapped this in our Vero Beach Lobby

IMG_0500_zps8pdtrksc.jpg

Turns out Legacy Flight Training is in the original Piper building once inhabited by all old engineers, designers and William himself. I was on hollowed ground!

Did not have time to see the plant, but it is right next door...

Not that plant - the factory - where 90% of the aircraft are built and assembled still by hand...like a Rolls Royce or Ferrari!

Best ground speed I ever saw in the KC-10 was @700KTS as we had 180KTS of a tailwind going from Tokyo to Honolulu.

22 minutes ago, Extender32 said:

Best ground speed I ever saw in the KC-10 was @700KTS as we had 180KTS of a tailwind going from Tokyo to Honolulu.

I was really hoping to see 300 when we made the turn north at 'Vegas as we had winds from the SW at 118 KTS - only got up to 294...

700 is smokin'!

3 weeks prior, we had the same winds but on the nose and our ground speed going to Tokyo was @350ish and about a 11hr flt. The same flight heading back was only 5.5hrs at the 700kts ground speed or roughly 800 mph of my math is correct.

Your ground speed sucks.  

See lower right for mine.  

image.thumb.png.efca92fbc9310d9b86584480

just don't tell SW I turned on my phone on the way to NC in Dec.