NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C5 Alternator Question

Togo

i posted THIS THREAD a while back and never followed through, as it didn't really look like it was causing any actual problems.

well i played a little experiment on the way home from Glenns on saturday.

when my RPMs are OVER 2000, the voltage drops to 12 volts and below.

when i take those RPMs back down below 2000, it will slowly creep back up to 13 volts +

i'd rather rebuild it if i can find a good kit (i'm going to revist the link that brian posted up in the above referenced thread) my concern about rebuilding is that i don't get the correct amperage parts back in the alternator thus possibly putting out less amperage.

Phil - what did you wind up getting? how many amps? mind if i ask where and how much?

last thing - i seem to recall on CF that there was a post about alternators over a certain amperage would throw codes - but when changing to a lower amperage voltage, the problem would basically resolve itself.

(don't really need tech help on this one, just need some guidance on prices and stuff, hence the reason for posting in generan and not tech)

:cfdeadagain

i posted THIS THREAD a while back and never followed through, as it didn't really look like it was causing any actual problems.

well i played a little experiment on the way home from Glenns on saturday.

when my RPMs are OVER 2000, the voltage drops to 12 volts and below.

when i take those RPMs back down below 2000, it will slowly creep back up to 13 volts +

i'd rather rebuild it if i can find a good kit (i'm going to revist the link that brian posted up in the above referenced thread) my concern about rebuilding is that i don't get the correct amperage parts back in the alternator thus possibly putting out less amperage.

Phil - what did you wind up getting? how many amps? mind if i ask where and how much?

last thing - i seem to recall on CF that there was a post about alternators over a certain amperage would throw codes - but when changing to a lower amperage voltage, the problem would basically resolve itself.

(don't really need tech help on this one, just need some guidance on prices and stuff, hence the reason for posting in generan and not tech)

:cfdeadagain

I was going to talk to Mike or Chad at AZP&S about it on Monday.

I was going to pick one up at the dealer on Saturday, but they closed at 1:00 PM. Then I stopped at Autozone to see what they had to offer. Did not end up buying one, because I realized that I would have to deal with the serpentine belt that is on my SuperCharger. Pain in the Ass to deal with.

So that is as far as I got with this Chris.

Will post more when I get more info.