NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

I have and I'm not

Desertdawg

I have joined Facebook. 

I am not a pedophile.  

In in an attempt to help ACE continue to grow an become even better, and to help our online presence with more a update communication form, We are working at integrating our forum with other social media outlets.  

Sadly the forum as a communication tool online is slowly losing users all across the internet. We need to adapt or die. 

Funny footnote: 

i friended my wife, both daughters and their husbands, and Jim. I now have 34 friend requests from preteens. ????   :eek

As a bonus you'll be able to see all the cute pictures of your grandson now without Jammye having to hand her phone to you

I'm not going there. If the online forum dies, so be it. The last thing I need is trying to sort through hundreds of messages from 34 preteens and the under 40 crowd, just to find something worthwhile. Being an independent old fart is what a geezer is all about.

2 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

I'm not going there. If the online forum dies, so be it. The last thing I need is trying to sort through hundreds of messages from 34 preteens and the under 40 crowd, just to find something worthwhile. Being an independent old fart is what a geezer is all about.

I'm with Tom on this. 

Stop shaking your fists at the evil Facebook gang, no one ever said you have to join because the forum is shutting down or something. Its not!!!

No doubt the trend for outfits like us is towards social media outlets, that trend isn't going away. We need to adapt our forum to interact with the other social media. You can't do that without joining them because you needs access to them. This is all Dwayne stated, nothing more. Imagine if the world still operated on Windows 95, you couldn't to nearly any of the online convenience operations you do now. Its evolution, things evolve and there is no stopping that. You adapt or die, if we don't then this forum will eventually fade away because younger folks won't even explore it because it doesn't work on a format in which they're familiar. Many of us are comfortable with the online forum format because thats what us older folks have always known. The younger folks are more familiar with other media like Facebook. The hope is to have the two work together 

Go out on the front porch and shake your fist at the neighborhood kids instead!!!

Thanks Jim. That's just about how I was going to explain it. Except I was going to use big words with lots of letters to make it sound more  technical. 

We aren't shutting down the forum. Just trying to connect with more members. 

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH WINDOWS 95. ?

I still use it faithfully. 

In Fact, I prefer the soft sounds of the dial up modem, if you must know. It's safe and familiar.

SLAMMER

IM NOT INTRESTED IN F.B.

13 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

Stop shaking your fists at the evil Facebook gang, no one ever said you have to join because the forum is shutting down or something. Its not!!!

No doubt the trend for outfits like us is towards social media outlets, that trend isn't going away. We need to adapt our forum to interact with the other social media. You can't do that without joining them because you needs access to them. This is all Dwayne stated, nothing more. Imagine if the world still operated on Windows 95, you couldn't to nearly any of the online convenience operations you do now. Its evolution, things evolve and there is no stopping that. You adapt or die, if we don't then this forum will eventually fade away because younger folks won't even explore it because it doesn't work on a format in which they're familiar. Many of us are comfortable with the online forum format because thats what us older folks have always known. The younger folks are more familiar with other media like Facebook. The hope is to have the two work together 

Go out on the front porch and shake your fist at the neighborhood kids instead!!!

What I see, is that ACE has two doors to the electronic communication world. One is the forum this post is on and the other is Facebook, yet they can both be accessed by W95, Vista, W10, on different platforms, and on different devices, etc. Adapting works both ways, since kids will have to figure out how a crank lowers/raises car windows if they drive an older car to the drive-thru at M-D's or they'll starve. Conversations may go on in either room, but the rooms are not connected. There are a lot of other doors available for communication that also fit the description of social media the same as this forum does, but ACE hasn't created those rooms. It appears that several members have no interest in having Facebook just to have access to the "other room", since this room has served them well. If the "other room" didn't exist, we wouldn't be having this conversation either. By having two or more independent rooms for conversations, ACE becomes divided and neither one benefits.

53 minutes ago, HOXXOH said:

What I see, is that ACE has two doors to the electronic communication world. One is the forum this post is on and the other is Facebook, yet they can both be accessed by W95, Vista, W10, on different platforms, and on different devices, etc. Adapting works both ways, since kids will have to figure out how a crank lowers/raises car windows if they drive an older car to the drive-thru at M-D's or they'll starve. Conversations may go on in either room, but the rooms are not connected. There are a lot of other doors available for communication that also fit the description of social media the same as this forum does, but ACE hasn't created those rooms. It appears that several members have no interest in having Facebook just to have access to the "other room", since this room has served them well. If the "other room" didn't exist, we wouldn't be having this conversation either. By having two or more independent rooms for conversations, ACE becomes divided and neither one benefits.

This is why we have to create the rooms as you say, so there is interconnect between the platforms, we're working on it.  In order to work on it, Dwayne has now joined Facebook, you can't work on the interconnect between the two without having access to both sides.  Please everyone read what Dwayne posted again, he's said nothing more than just this

I have to be honest, it bothers me a bit to hear a lot of what is being said here.  You all seem to be saying, "just let it die, it has to be this way/my way", sort of like saying, "I don't give a damn about leaving a legacy of ACE to the younger folks".  Platforms similar to this are waning, its not speculation, other media outlets are taking over because they are just easier to navigate and access.  We have to adapt in some way or at some time or there are generations of Corvette lovers who won't even bother with this group.  So at this time, we work on making the media platforms interconnect (common rooms as you refer to it Tom) as best we can

Tom, we are working out how to get the two (for now) media outlets to merge, we are not trying to separate the group we are only trying to make ACE better. 

This isn't the end of old guy technology, but you can't deny moving forward with mobile media and today's way of communications. 

If your going to fight it then I'm glad your weren't around when ACE was an email group before the forum was started.  

39 minutes ago, TheCMSH said:

I have to be honest, it bothers me a bit to hear a lot of what is being said here.  You all seem to be saying, "just let it die, it has to be this way/my way",

Could not agree more with this statement. It actually made me shudder a little.

This group used to be made up of a lot of age groups. Now we seem to be a vast majority of 45+ age group. Where is the under 40 crowd? Using other social media outlets. If we don't reach out using both...we are doomed.

8 hours ago, Desertdawg said:

Tom, we are working out how to get the two (for now) media outlets to merge, we are not trying to separate the group we are only trying to make ACE better. 

This isn't the end of old guy technology, but you can't deny moving forward with mobile media and today's way of communications. 

If your going to fight it then I'm glad your weren't around when ACE was an email group before the forum was started.  

Apparently, I, along with a bunch of other people, mis-understood what your intent was and I'm still not clear what you mean when you say "(for now)". If you're trying to merge this forum with Facebook, then the group already is separated and you're trying to put it back together. I'm only fighting being forced to join something that I have no interest in joining, which is the same as you were doing up until a couple days ago. If Facebook is the direction you're taking the forum, you just got a preview of some of the members who won't be going there. You can look at me as being the old guy, but my mobile phone accesses this ACE forum just fine. If there is another mobile media communication method more advanced, my kids and grandkids haven't got it yet or they're intentionally hiding it from me. USPS snail mail is not yet obsolete, it's just not carried by horses in covered wagons anymore.

My wife looked at ACE on her Facebook acct (which for her is ROM) and found nothing current. Does she have to do the friend thing to see stuff newer than 2007?

(For Now) ...  Facebook now. Twitter or Instagram or ???? 

I'm just guessing that there may be other connections in the future, which ones, I don't know. 

We are not forcing you or anybody to go

to FB. The forum is still our mainstay, FB is just an additional way to reach Corvette Enthusiasts. 

(And we will work hard to not have separate groups. Please help us in this quest )

I'll just throw this in and hopefully the debate will resolve itself:  It can be said there are definitely folks here which do not want, and never will be part of Facebook in any way shape or form.  We get that, and your opinions are noted and valued.  It must also be said, and has been observed by the way, that there are quite a few folks who used to be very active participants on the forum here and now their online activity is mainly over on Facebook.  We want to make the convenience and accommodations for those folks to still be active with ACE and stay informed of events.  Whatever your personal opinion of Facebook, having that outlet available for current and new/prospective members is a win for ACE overall and it will assure the legacy of ACE continues

10 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

She needs to get on the group page (link below).  The page she looked at is the group page which was created in '07 which is description and that we are here, in the notes it refers to the FB group page and here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/205389992834071/

Good to know, I posted on the old one.