NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C3 Help

dcoleaz

Alrighty folks, here is my problem.

1972 corvette base 350, mostly original still.

I went to move my car and the battery was dead....charged it and the vette will not start. All the electric works, the alternator, fuses, radio, windows... all working. I pushed it out of the driveway and clutch started it and it ran fine. I stopped, turned it off, waited for an hour and it started fine. The next day it would not start again.

There had been some talk from the previous owner that it happened to him a few times. He would just use his left foot and jiggle the wiring harness by the fuse block. He didn't dive much so it wasn't an issue. I prefer to drive and is becoming an issue.

Where do I start to diagnose the issue?

Any and all suggestions are welcome and I thank you in advance.

if it can be push started - i doubt it is the harness - otherwise it would be just as sporadic as it is with the key.

when you turn the key, do you hear a click or any kind?

it could very well be your starter.

Alrighty folks, here is my problem.

1972 corvette base 350, mostly original still.

I went to move my car and the battery was dead....charged it and the vette will not start. All the electric works, the alternator, fuses, radio, windows... all working. I pushed it out of the driveway and clutch started it and it ran fine. I stopped, turned it off, waited for an hour and it started fine. The next day it would not start again.

There had been some talk from the previous owner that it happened to him a few times. He would just use his left foot and jiggle the wiring harness by the fuse block. He didn't dive much so it wasn't an issue. I prefer to drive and is becoming an issue.

Where do I start to diagnose the issue?

Any and all suggestions are welcome and I thank you in advance.

If the other owner jiggled some wires by the fuse box and it started, you have a wiring issue for sure someplace, better get under there and start looking for bad connections, grounds, spices etc... Something is messed up for sure.

Guest Steve Mulvey

Try the starter solenoid as well or a rusted ground which could cause a resistance... try runnining a cable from the battery right to the starter and see if it spins...

Next time it fails, get under the dash near the wire's the last owner was kicking, have someone hold the key in the start position, and gently start wiggling the wires until you find it....

Or just get a bigger :bang

The thick purple wire that comes out of the ign. switch, mounted on the steering column, goes directly to the starter. I would put power to that wire right at the switch and see if it cranks. If it does then it could be an out of adj. ign. switch (not uncommon). If it doesnt crank, it is in that wire between the switch and the starter (most likely where it passes through the firewall at the juction block). If it cranks and its not a switch or a switch adj., then it could be in the wire that powers the ign. switch (thick red wire) or the connection plug on the switch.This thick red wire comes from the batt. cable connection at the starter, it has an in-line fusible link that may be getting weak(too much resistance) so check that as well. Hope this helps...Joe

Guest UVETTYA
Next time it fails, get under the dash near the wire's the last owner was kicking, have someone hold the key in the start position, and gently start wiggling the wires until you find it....

Or just get a bigger :bang

:agree Start where you notice the problem - at the fuse box. If you can wiggle wires there then that's where the problem is. It's probably a wire for your starter since the car will run, just won't turn the starter.

I'm voting for starter as well.

If you've got original C3 wiring, start saving up to replace it.

IMO, the old stuff causes more and more problems. Isn't cheap to replace though.

Guest Steve Mulvey

I have had another thought - do these cars have a neutral switch? you could push start the car even without the switch working methinks...

Joe has a point. Check that out first. Then if that doesn't work and before you start kicking the fuse box :D I would have to agree with Steve M. and make sure the Nuetral Safety switch isn't the problem. If neither of those make a diff. then check the starter solenoid.

Or, maybe the blinker fluid is low. :lol

Just kidding on the blinker fluid.... I've never seen it go low before..... :P

Andrew

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will test them all when I get a moment. I have tried the wiggle while starting method and nothing happened. I appreciate the help, i would be lost w/o your knowledge. Thanks Daren

• 4 weeks later...

Sloryde nailed it i think.... There seems to be a "connection" up above the pedals that the purple wires hook up with. They then go into the column???

If I wiggle the connection sometimes it will start.

What am I talking about? Is that the neutral safety switch?

Whatever it is does not look easy to get to.

Thanks in advance.

D

If that switch is mounted to the lower steering column then its the ignition switch. If you buy one at the local auto parts store the stupid kid at the counter will probably sell you the ign. lock cyl. (where the key goes) so specify that you want the SWITCH. If you unplug the connector at the switch it probably has a burned contact at the purple or the thick red wire terminals. Thick red feeds the switch and the purple goes to the starter. Hore this helps...Joe

Have i mentioned how cool this site and the people on it is?

I don't think that is the one..... i will try to explain a little better

The purple thick cable that caome from the starter throught the fire wall appears to connect to a "switch" up under the dash but more like up near where the pedals attach?

It appears to be a "connection" like a spade connector. Then is splits into two one purple one red? wires and to the fuse block.... if i remember right.

Thanks

D

Looks like it would be easy enough to jumper the switch and see if that's the problem. Unplug the connector and use a wire or paper clip to complete the circuit. Robert :burnout

Ok, jumped the neutral safety switch,still no go. Rechecked all the other connections, nothing burnt or loose.

Anyone know a good Electric Guy?

Daren

Does the clutch need to be in or just the tranny in neutral? If the clutch needs to be in I would check that as well. :ack Robert :burnout

Maybe that switch under the dash at the peddles is bad.

I hate electrical problems.

Maybe we need another Corvette Sunday with the gang to find out what's the heck is going on......

Andrew

That switch looks like a bisscch to replace. I can tell where and how it is attached. I contacted a friend and he will come by after 1/1/07 to check it out. I will post the results. Thanks for all the suggestions. Preciate it