NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

I Know Something You Don't Know!!!

Guest XLR8TNC5

Guest XLR8TNC5

So,Im driving to Casa Grande yesterday to go visit one of my stores and I decided to drive the Vette since it gets better gas mileage than the Titan. lol.

Im about 1/2 a mile from the exit on I-10 and I turn on my blinker to make the right onto whatever exit that is. I turned my blinker on early because I was stuck behind a big rig doing about 45mph and he had his blinker on and I didn't know it was still so far to the exit....

Anyway, I turn onto the exit and it is a slow sweeping curve, so the blinker doesn't turn off. Well, about 1 minute later, I hear DING DING DING!!!! Im freaking out thinking "Oh no,,,, whats wrong?" I turn off my turn signal and it goes away and my DIC clears. I caught just the tail end of the DIC message and I thought it said, Check Blinkers or Check Signals or something?" Don't tell me this car lets you know when your turn signal has been on too long? IT DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That freaked me out and I wondered how many of you knew that it does this? I know the C4's don't have it because I have seen a few of you accidentally leave your blinkers on until I let you know they were on. But on the C5, at least on my 1998, it gets annoyed at having the blinker on too long and actually lets you know to turn it off!!!!! How crazy is that?

Anyway, just thought I would share it with you all. I would be curious how many of you have the same thing on your cars (c5's.) and whether or not you have ever experienced it and what did the DIC say. Like I said, I just caught the tail end of the message that scrolled across the DIC. I sat in the parking lot at the store and turned on my signal again to try to get it to ding at me and scroll the message again, but it didn't work. I think the car has to be in drive or rolling over a certain mph or something. But by the time I was on my way home, I spaced trying it out again. I am driving it this afternoon, so if I remember, I will try it again and post for sure what the DIC says.

Lata all,

Yep, my car called me a dummy once also! :bang Glad to know the car is looking out for us more than we thought. I first had this happen with my Gran Prix a few years back, so it looks like it's a GM feature. Glad I'm not the only one! :lol

I'm not sure but I think the DIC says "you're not a snowbird, turn off the blinker dummy!" and yes, I got that message once myself. I don't know if you noticed but I think the radio volume goes down so you can hear the ding too.

Guest XLR8TNC5
I'm not sure but I think the DIC says "you're not a snowbird, turn off the blinker dummy!" and yes, I got that message once myself. I don't know if you noticed but I think the radio volume goes down so you can hear the ding too.

LMAO...Well it is nice to know Im not crazy. lol. I dont know if the volume on the radio went down because I had the windows down and I was listening to the sweet music of my exhaust note! lol....

THanks all for letting me know Im not insane!

Thats funny I just noticed mine last night while taking my wife :wub out for here birthday she pointed out that the message was on my dash but I didnt here any chimes over the music and exhaust. I didnt know they did that I thought that was :thumbs I also found out to check mileage when cars off I just have to turn on the parking light. I guess that why they give us those silly manuals :lol

THanks all for letting me know Im not insane!

I didn't hear anyone say you weren't insane! :lol:lol:lol

Guest racingchester

I thought the manufacturers left the turn signal lever off the cars -- so few people want to let you know that they are going to turn......

Yep, yep, yep.... :yesnod My 1998 Grand Prix has that and the first time I heard I was like WTF is wrong with this thing? :chris

I don't think it actually said what the "issue" was.

You see now, the Gereral is watching out for us. :flag

We had a Mopar that use to do that too. It would quit making noise once you stepped on the brake but still displayed the message until the turn signal was turned off. That was on a 1990's car.....

Andrew

Yep they do work. I am glad mine goes off every now and then. Sometimes I am old and I forget it is on. But when I am feeling young that day it never goes off. :D :bang

Guest XLR8TNC5

Guess I didn't know something you all dind't know... lol. Looks to me like I was the only one left out of the loop when they put that submliminal message into the manual! lol...

And yes, I am VERY INSANE!

Tanya