NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

How do you potty train a 13 wk old Dobey

Guest XLR8TNC5

Guest XLR8TNC5

Okay all,

We finally broke down and Mark and I got our new Doberman Pinscher puppy about a week ago. He is AWESOME. Pic attached. However, although he is clearly very intelligent and has learned Sit, No, Out, Stay, Come, Fetch, and how to walk on a leash in a little less than a week, it is turning out to be VERY hard potty training him. I have read my Doberman handbook and it says not to spank them, rub their noses in it or hit them with your hand, etc...

So, I tried the book's way and it was not working on him. So, I have resorted to the old school style of taking him over to the mess, showing it to him (but NOT rubbing his nose in it) and telling him NO in a stearn voice and smacking his bottom. I then take him and put him outside in the grass and tell him to go potty.

When we are outside and I see him go potty, I am sure to praise him and reward him to reinforce him using the outside to go potty, but he will come in the house and not five minutes later pee again! I am so lost.

Discuss please! Thanks.

Tanya

EDIT: The old picture was a internet pic I found and I was told I needed to put a REAL picture of OUR dog and not a dog that resembled ours on here for you all. So, here you go! This is the real TANNER CRASH!

/post-6-1111893797.jpg" rel="external nofollow">post-6-1111893797.jpg

post-6-1111893797.jpg

When we are outside and I see him go potty, I am sure to praise him and reward him to reinforce him using the outside to go potty, but he will come in the house and not five minutes later pee again!

Okay all,

although he is clearly very intelligent and has learned Sit, No, Out, Stay, Come, Fetch, and how to walk on a leash in a little less than a week, it is turning out to be VERY hard potty training him.

He's obviously from Mark's side of the family so I suggest you stick with one word commands. After all that seems to be working with the other commands. Maybe if you take him out and yell pee, piss, poop, $hit, etc loud enough it will scare it out of the poor little fella. Also it'll be the topic of conversation the next time you get together with the neighbors (if you ever see them again). If that doesn't work think back..... how did you house break Mark? :smilelol: :smilelol:

Seriously, I've got two great dogs and you're doing it exactly right. It just takes time and patience. Stick with exactly what you're doing! :thumbs:

PS - Remember dogs can be vindictive too. You piss them off and they will get even. I can tell you, by now he's figured out which room is your favorite, which side of the bed you sleep on and any thing else it will take to get even.

My Mom had a little poodle mix and whenever Mom got home late and she didn't get fed on time she'd poop in one of Mom's shoes in the closet. She knew exactly what she was doing. If you setup a routine with them stick to it or they will get pissed!

Tie a piece of string around "it" when he is inside... :thumbs:

Worked on Mark didn't it??? :lol: :lol:

Guest XLR8TNC5

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Also, you will notice the picture has changed. I took a pic of him with my cell phone tonight and put a picture of him in place of the internet dog I found that resembled him.

He seems to be doing a lot better now, but as I was responding to a PM on here, he did #2 by my foot! Dang it! I spoke to soon.

I know it will get better, he is a baby after all.

Thanks again.

And Mark, you get respect when you GIVE respect! :crazy:

Tanya

And Mark, you get respect when you GIVE respect! :crazy:

Tanya

Ouch! An ACE smackdown! 207slapsmiley-thumb.gif Come on Mark stand up to her! :D

:lurk: :lurk:

Guest XLR8TNC5

Hey now, why do you all think I got Tanner. ;) I needed a dog that would keep Mark in line if need be. :P I just have to say, "Get Em Boy" and Mark is dead meat. :D

but don't tell Mark that

See you all later,

Sounds like you have a nervous little one. Especially if he poops on your foot.

Do you find that he is going in the same spot within the house? If so, close that section off and you most likely need to mark some territory in the back yard so he knows where to go and use the potty. So have Mark "MARK" the backyard where you would like the dog to go potty. From there he should learn where he needs to go.

Mark how is that for RESPECT.

Good Luck, We got rid of a Cocker Spaniel for that reason.

So have Mark "MARK" the backyard where you would like the dog to go potty. From there he should learn where he needs to go.

Mark how is that for RESPECT.

This would definitely be :bs w/o pics! :smilelol: