71 corvette, seller Howard's Corvettes

Dvl4evr

I spoke to my dad today.  Over the weekend he was at a gas station, when a 71 pulled up near him.  It had a for sale "sign" on the car, so my dad talked to the guy.  Guy said it's numbers matching,  3 owner car w/ 160k on the odometer.  It's cammed w/ non stock heads & a 4 barrel carb.  He's asking $18000 for it.  What should we look for when considering a C3?

Rust. 

Look for bird cage rust around the windshield posts and down thru the door hinges.  Also look under where the rear arms attach. 

Signs of heater core leakage. 

Most C3 stuff is easy to moderately difficult to replace but rust is a major pain. 

Check under the nose for prior crash damage. Learn how to tell original body pieces from replacement ones. That'll probably give you an idea if the car has been hit.

Also check all the vacuum actuated stuff.

Bromley's Corvettes

First place I look is the rear of the frame. You can look in the wheel well and see the frame right there. If thats rusted bad stop right there dont even look at anything else on the car. When its rusted bad there everything else on the whole car will be rusted out. I have seen a few patch jobs where someone has taken alum tape and sprayed black under coating over it. You pull the tape off and the rear of the frame is gone lol. If its not rusted there next I look at front end. Lots of vettes been hit in front and had lots of body work that can be hard to notice at first. Its ok if a front end has been replaced if it was done well. If not its a big job to fix it right. Check all the numbers everyone always says its all numbers. So many things to look at and check rust is the most important. If you buy a rust bucket its a nasty up hill battle to do anything with the car and it will be hard to resell. 

Bromley's Corvettes

I will look at it for you be four you buy it:) Dont buy it and bring it to me and find out the cars a mess.

I will look at it for you be four you buy it:) Dont buy it and bring it to me and find out the cars a mess.

That a great offer.  If you have a shop in mind to work on any classic it is ALWAYS best to have them look it over for you.

Take your time Chevy made more than one Corvette.  There will always be another car available

That a great offer.  If you have a shop in mind to work on any classic it is ALWAYS best to have them look it over for you.

Take your time Chevy made more than one Corvette.  There will always be another car available

FREE workz.

Bromley's Corvettes

To me that seems kind of a high price for a non original 160k mile Vette.....

I with you on that:)