NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Noise

Bigfoot

I've been getting a strange "rattle" type noise at higher RPM during a shift or neutral as soon as I left off the gas. It's not the raspiness of the headers...I don't think.

I shot a video with my phone, but it doesn't come out very well in the video. I did notice that the right side header clamp does allow gas to escape right in front of the hi-flow cat. Is it possible this could cause a "rattle" sounding noise.

And I only hear it on that side. Input please. I want to do a tune this week if I can get with NicD, but don't want to if I need to take care of something first.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m256/Bigfoot99/20151010_080109_zpsrjlrhpso.mp4

If you had left your car completely stock, you wouldn't have to deal with these little gremlins.  I'd trade your car in and get a new Z06.

Have you re-torqued all the clamps? I found several loose on mine after a couple hundred miles.

I am with this guy, just sounds like something may be loose or not seated properly.

Clamps are tight, but you still see signs of leakage, right?  Something is up if that's the case.  May want to pull it down and inspect the flanges.

Once it cools down, bang on the exhaust with the heel of your palm, or the outside of your fist and see if you can make it rattle.

To narrow it down even further, did you have this noise before you put the Z06 mufflers on a couple of weeks ago?

With those super quiet mufflers, no. I didn't even notice it with these until I was driving with the windows down when it cooled off outside.

If the leak doesn't bother you enough to pull the exhaust down and the pipes don't rattle, then there is no issue.  Drive the shit out of it.

With those super quiet mufflers, no. I didn't even notice it with these until I was driving with the windows down when it cooled off outside.

So keep the windows up and motor on. It's probably nothing more than loose shift linkage, or the e-brake cable hanging down by the shocks. You'll know better when it falls off.

Ok, this is really bugging me. I need ideas. What are my options to make this go away without welding it? It's clamped so close to the collector that I'm afraid if it's welded in and then something else goes wrong, thare's not enough header there to cut and repair.

The noise that bugs me the most it a "ticking" sound that I'm pretty sure is coming from that leak. I've adjusted the clamp as much as I can and actually made the leak worse. I put it back and tightened as much as I can. I do remember hearing the ticking noise before the new mufflers were installed.

20150627_092349_zps7zisvugc.jpg

20150627_092551_zpsa2qzebhp.jpg

I thought about that, but I'd have to be able to open up the outer sleeve in order to do that and not sure if I can.

At this point I'm half tempted to just have the cats pulled and weld pipe in place of them. Then if something needs to be fixed...oh wait, there wouldn't be anything to break. :lol 

Years ago on a 4x4 I had, I used furnace cement for a similar situation.  You might want to try that.  Ace hardware has 1/2 pint of Rutland for $2.79.  Says withstands up to 2700 degrees.

Took it to a muffler shop today. They checked the clamps with a stethoscope and said the leaks are insignificant. Any noises I'm hearing up front are typical with such a wide open exhaust system. Ok, I guess.

As far as the "rattle" at higher RPM, they think it is the butterfly valve or possibly something loose in the muffler. I don't think it's something loose in the muffler and that butterfly valve seems pretty tight to me.

I'm getting it tuned on the 31st by NicD. I think she's running a little rich, so maybe that will help some.

When you turn fifty your hearing will be shot and you won't even notice the little noise.