NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Column Lock Eliminator

aAZZ

So recently my car has been giving me problems on start up, at first I thought it was the battery so changed that and worked good for a day or two but problem came back. I go to turn it on and you can just hear a click. After doing some research it looks like its the column lock feature on the c6. I guess its a common issue and i'm sure that's it because when the car doesn't start I unplug the battery and plug it back in and it starts right away. Just wondering if any of you here have had that problem on a 05 vette and if you have done the Column Lock Eliminator. Just want to see if its going to make the problem go away as it's getting really anoyying dealing with this every other day. Thanks for the feedback.

Column lock issue is a known carry over issue from the C5 to the '05 C6, are you getting the "pull key, wait 10 seconds" message on the DIC?  If you could get a code scanner check and see what code(s) it might be storing

It sounds suspiciously like a battery cable problem if you don't have a message or codes associated with it.  Check the connections down by the starter

Column lock issue is a known carry over issue from the C5 to the '05 C6, are you getting the "pull key, wait 10 seconds" message on the DIC?  If you could get a code scanner check and see what code(s) it might be storing

It sounds suspiciously like a battery cable problem if you don't have a message or codes associated with it.  Check the connections down by the starter

No i am not. I kno my negative battery terminal was loose as well so I went ahead and changed that as well. I will check the starter connections later tonight see if I see anything fishy there i guess. I went ahead and ordered the Column lock eliminator regardless as it seems like i'll eventually run into that problem down the road.

Just for giggles put that new battery on a trickle charge too. Surprising how discharged a new battery can be. I've puchased new batteries and had them bad right out of the gate 

Just for giggles put that new battery on a trickle charge too. Surprising how discharged a new battery can be. I've puchased new batteries and had them bad right out of the gate 

messed around with it tonight. Found the culprit

CAM00016.jpg

So now either need another starter or take this somewhere to get fixed

Holy disintegration Batman! I have zero rebuild recommendations, hopefully some others can kick in. I remember there being a place on Cave Creek Rd south of Cactus but I've never had to used them 

Holy disintegration Batman! I have zero rebuild recommendations, hopefully some others can kick in. I remember there being a place on Cave Creek Rd south of Cactus but I've never had to used them 

Elliot Electric, but they no longer rebuild. There is a place in Glendale that they used. Problably easier to get a new one.

Elliot Electric, but they no longer rebuild. There is a place in Glendale that they used. Problably easier to get a new one.

That's who I was thinking of, we do live in a disposable world now, not too surprising.  Charlie's probably right on the assessment, probably way less heartburn and not that much more money in the end