NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

84 corvette turns off with hard turning

nickwarren

My wife was experiencing something similar with her 78.  Every time she adjusted the column with the car running it would shut off.  You more than likely have an ignition short in your steering column.

It could very well be fuel pressure or related pull the pump out and have a look at the filter sock and the fuel filter on the frame rail. What is your FP right now, it's important to know that with a CF. I'll say it one more time, if you want some help on your CF, I can help you or you can take it to some shops that don't know anything about CFI and charge you a lot and it won't run any better. The choice is yours...Good Luck with your 84.

It could very well be fuel pressure or related pull the pump out and have a look at the filter sock and the fuel filter on the frame rail. What is your FP right now, it's important to know that with a CF. I'll say it one more time, if you want some help on your CF, I can help you or you can take it to some shops that don't know anything about CFI and charge you a lot and it won't run any better. The choice is yours...Good Luck with your 84.

i just put a new fuel pump in yesterday and i saw somebody having the same problem and they removed their mufflers so i tried that and it is actually a lot better would you haven any idea why that is 

i just put a new fuel pump in yesterday and i saw somebody having the same problem and they removed their mufflers so i tried that and it is actually a lot better would you haven any idea why that is 

Say Wha?! I have no idea why your muffler would cause it to shut off in a turn. That makes no sense. Just because you replaced the fuel pump does NOT mean that the pressure is ok. First of all, you should have replaced it with a 87 vette pump, a stock pump is marginal at best and you DO NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE FP IS SET TO for a CF to run correctly no matter what. Have fun with your CF.

By better do you mean the issue is gone completely?  I dunno man, I just don't think so.  Unless your catalytic converters had collapsed and all the material collected in the mufflers and caused a ton of back pressure I just don't think that makes a ton of sense.  I could see being down on power and then a nasty backfire maybe in that scenario

Keep us posted.  Modern cars have an inertia fuel shutoff switch, I'm just not sure if that 84 would have that and if it could be malfunctioning.  They're designed to shut off fuel in the case of a collision

Pulling the mufflers could certainly reduce back pressure ... Increasing flow and like tricking the O2 sensor .. adding fuel ....

to Buc's point ... Get your fuel pressure identified ... Measured between to TBs .... If you're less then 10lbs ... You could certainly be outta fuel on turns ... I'm sure it's got some miles on it ... So cats & mufflers are clogged to some degree ... Thus leaning out your AF mixture ...  Get it pumpkin to at least 12-14 lbs ... You may to go to an 85 pump to get there...

Tom .. Do you still have some FP set ups you could hook him up with ??

Tom's your guy locally .... He's totally on the mark when he says the shops will just take you dollars .... Or recommend carb conversion ... Your CFI will do you well ... If set up correctly ...  And if you've got a lot of miles on her ... Consider new cats & mufflers ... Doesn't do much ... But every little bit helps ....  #justsayin

on yeah ... Make certain you don't have any vacuum issues ... Good vacuum is key with the CFI system

OK, I'm just basing my input on various assumptions since the OP hasn't offered any in-depth info except "my car won't run in tight turns" and I replaced my fuel pump".  Sometimes assumptions can be a bad thing, but here goes... Having a "plugged muffler" has nothing to do with a motor stalling in a "turn". If the mufflers/CAT were plugged it will run like shit all the time especially under load, not just in a turn. OK, with that said, yeah the CAT could be plugged somewhat and by replacing it and the mufflers you will get more flow etc... but the root cause is still there. Under the assumptions, I will also assume that you do not have a CEL and if you do I would get hot on finding out what is going on there and if multiple codes, start with the first one that appears and go from there in order. DO NOT just start replacing/shotgunning sensors Willie-Nillie..

The 85-87 FP is the best bet for any CF if a fuel pump is going to be replaced, it's a direct replacement pump. Like I and Hal said, check your FP, it really needs to be at 13psi, anything less than that and a CF will NOT run properly, trust me on this one. Like Hal also said and I failed to mention, vacuum is the enemy on a CF and there are plenty of places for issues, but not so many on a 84 since your lights are not run off of vacuum. The top plate and TBs can be a big issue for vacuum leaks, which will cause the motor to run badly, but not just in turns like you said it does.

If you do decide that the FP is low and raise it, you "should" replace the TB bladders since you probably have no idea when the last time they were replaced and by raising the pressure required to make it run properly you stand the chance of bursting them and fuel WILL go everywhere and probably start a fire if it happened while driving. A great kit to order from Autozone is from GP Sorensen 96-629 kit, it's the best one out there. If you buy others you will probably have issues with the bladders and FP issues, don't do it. The Sorenson kit runs around $45 and is a compete TB kit for both TBs including the base gaskets.

Also, like mentioned, you may have an electrical issue, but everything I mentioned and there is more, like TB balancing, shaft wear etc...as well, but this will get your CF running properly. Another great idea for the owner of a 31 year old car is the 84 Service Manual, it's a MUST if you want to keep the car and know how to repair it, it's worth its weight in gold. You can find them usually on eBay. If you like I have them on CD as well and can hook you up.

Speaking of FPA's, I don't have any fuel pressure assemblies right now for an 84, but I can make one for you if you want, let me know, but it will be a little while since I'm down in Tucson right now and won't be up in the valley until next week. Click on the DCS link in my sig to see why I know a little about CFI. Jim and I have helped 100's of people with their CFI, but we are in the process of either moving on to something else or closing completely. We do still sell our manifold though through Eckler's, Summit Racing and Eddie Motorsports.

Lastly, if you can't get your CF to run correctly, please do not go to a carb which is a waste of time and money, go EFI, you will be pleased with the results and get much better performance than a carb will for sure. IMO, I've never seen a CF that I couldn't get to run properly if mechanically sound, especially if it was a stock. Good Luck.

OK, I'm just basing my input on various assumptions since the OP hasn't offered any in-depth info except "my car won't run in tight turns" and I replaced my fuel pump".  Sometimes assumptions can be a bad thing, but here goes... Having a "plugged muffler" has nothing to do with a motor stalling in a "turn". If the mufflers/CAT were plugged it will run like shit all the time especially under load, not just in a turn. OK, with that said, yeah the CAT could be plugged somewhat and by replacing it and the mufflers you will get more flow etc... but the root cause is still there. Under the assumptions, I will also assume that you do not have a CEL and if you do I would get hot on finding out what is going on there and if multiple codes, start with the first one that appears and go from there in order. DO NOT just start replacing/shotgunning sensors Willie-Nillie..

The 85-87 FP is the best bet for any CF if a fuel pump is going to be replaced, it's a direct replacement pump. Like I and Hal said, check your FP, it really needs to be at 12psi, anything less than that and a CF will NOT run properly, trust me on this one. Like Hal also said and I failed to mention, vacuum is the enemy on a CF and there are plenty of places for issues, but not so many on a 84 since your lights are not run off of vacuum. The top plate and TBs can be a big issue for vacuum leaks, which will cause the motor to run badly, but not just in turns like you said it does.

If you do decide that the FP is low and raise it, you "should" replace the TB bladders since you probably have no idea when the last time they were replaced and by raising the pressure required to make it run properly you stand the chance of bursting them and fuel WILL go everywhere and probably start a fire if it happened while driving. A great kit to order from Autozone is from GP Sorensen 96-629 kit, it's the best one out there. If you buy others you will probably have issues with the bladders and FP issues, don't do it. The Sorenson kit runs around $45 and is a compete TB kit for both TBs including the base gaskets.

Also, like mentioned, you may have an electrical issue, but everything I mentioned and there is more, like TB balancing, shaft wear etc...as well, but this will get your CF running properly. Another great idea for the owner of a 31 year old car is the 84 Service Manual, it's a MUST if you want to keep the car and know how to repair it, it's worth its weight in gold. You can find them usually on eBay. If you like I have them on CD as well and can hook you up.

Speaking of FPA's, I don't have any fuel pressure assemblies right now for an 84, but I can make one for you if you want, let me know, but it will be a little while since I'm down in Tucson right now and won't be up in the valley until next week. Click on the DCS link in my sig to see why I know a little about CFI. Jim and I have helped 100's of people with their CFI, but we are in the process of either moving on to something else or closing completely. We do still sell our manifold though through Eckler's, Summit Racing and Eddie Motorsports.

Lastly, if you can't get your CF to run correctly, please do not go to a carb which is a waste of time and money, go EFI, you will be pleased with the results and get much better performance than a carb will for sure. IMO, I've never seen a CF that I couldn't get to run properly if mechanically sound, especially if it was a stock. Good Luck.

okay so the fuel pressure is fine i have narrowed it down to the tps the power steering raises the rps when it is under pressure so i talked to a guy and he said to test it does anyone know how many omhs it is suppussed to be reading

Let's back up a bit ... So the problem is when you turn sharply one direction or the other ???? It run outta fuel ...  ??? One side or the other .. Or both ....

you said FP is okey ... ??? What pressure do you have ???

next ... What does the vacuum look like at the intake ????

if the car runs good strait away ... Then it may be a bit lean ... If this occurs... You have either not enough fuel being sucked into the poliniums of the intake therefore not getting to the cylinders ...  Or you don't have enough to vacuum to make the trip down to the cylinders .. When you turn the fuel is held in place .. Thus causing a stall condition .. 

Prior to our second build on our CF motor ... Toward the end of its life we had the same issue ... Finding during tear down we had a flat cam .. Resulting in low vacuum .... Among other things as well

i'd be very surprised if there's a tps issue ... TPS readings should be about .5 to about 4.0 wot ... And we can assume your injectors are clean ????

Let's back up a bit ... So the problem is when you turn sharply one direction or the other ???? It run outta fuel ...  ??? One side or the other .. Or both ....

you said FP is okey ... ??? What pressure do you have ???

next ... What does the vacuum look like at the intake ????

if the car runs good strait away ... Then it may be a bit lean ... If this occurs... You have either not enough fuel being sucked into the poliniums of the intake therefore not getting to the cylinders ...  Or you don't have enough to vacuum to make the trip down to the cylinders .. When you turn the fuel is held in place .. Thus causing a stall condition .. 

Prior to our second build on our CF motor ... Toward the end of its life we had the same issue ... Finding during tear down we had a flat cam .. Resulting in low vacuum .... Among other things as well

i'd be very surprised if there's a tps issue ... TPS readings should be about .5 to about 4.0 wot ... And we can assume your injectors are clean ????

the fuel pressure was at 11 and now its at 4 so i have no idea what happened i put the pressure gauge on right before the fuel filter

Last post is very disappointing ..... you have been getting some experienced advise, as requested .....  however given the last responses, it appears the info given is going no where ....   the folks on this forum are here to help ... but if recommendations are just ignored ... this tread may become rather quiet ....

Just an observation ....... 

Fuel pressure needs to be measured between the TBs ..........