NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

04 C5 Z06 Fuel Pump - RIP

Drewster67

Made it to 112k before the fuel pump died.

I've been do my recon on this repair and it does look complicated.

I have one question that I cannot find the answer for .... Does the transaxle really need to be dropped in order to access the drivers side fuel tank?   

Ok - two questions - Where is the best place to order the new fuel pump?   

Thanks - much appreciated.

Drew

On a c6, no, you can drop the tank in about an hour without touching the tranny if you know what you are doing.

Dealer.

Dealer or someone with dealer hookups. Joe is a good source for OEM parts. I was just trying to say I would only run another OEM pump.

Ed Stralko at Coulter Cadillac is a member here and often gives a discount to ACE members for GM parts.

Good to know and thanks for the heads up ..

Amazon has AC Delco 

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-MU1549-Original-Equipment-Sensor/dp/B000NW4S1C/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1441983069&sr=8-10&keywords=Fuel+Pump+2004+Corvette

and Airtex (Never heard of this company before) 

http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-E3579M-Fuel-Module-Assembly/dp/B001C6SJYA/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1441984351&vehicle=2004-47-440-488--7-6-7-1475-557-3-1-2392--1-0&sr=1-8&ymm=2004%3Achevrolet%3Acorvette

I'm still a week out before I start the work - 

Thanks for the replies 

• 2 weeks later...

lucky for you, you've got a manual trans which gives you just enough room not to have to drop the driveline. its still a bit of a squeeze, those fuel cross pipes are going to give you some hassle and some creative language will be required.

The pump was swapped out and the car ran for 1/2 day - same as before - then it just died. I checked the fuel pressure at the rail and it was Zero.  

So now ... time to trace everything back starting at the fuse/relay box 

Good thing is that I have new pump coming tomorrow - filed a warranty claim on the first pump with 100% free replacement.  Peace of mind knowing that if it is the pump again - Ill have one waiting to go in same day. 

Ill post a follow up once shes sorted out.  

Fuel filter on cars with the FFS fuel system ( last half model year 2003 and all of 2004) is a sock around the pump that is a part of the pump. NO external filter

if you jump the fuel pump relay do you have power at the fuel pump circuit at the fuel tank harness connector? while your back there hows the fuel pump ground look like, I cant remember if it was on the driver side or the passenger side but its a little stud poking out from the frame towards the end  with a 10mm nut securing an eyelet terminal.

I haven't had an opportunity to jump the relay yet - tonight I finally have some time to spend on her.  

The ground wire looks good and it is on drivers side.  

Thanks all for the replies and direction - much appreciated everyone!  

Shes up and running again.

Really didn't do anything except reinspect the pump connection that we could reach.   We reset the plug and the car started.  Not on the first try but on the second.  Normally - since day one - she would start on the first try - every time.  I still feel like something is still not right.  Time will tell ... 

Sorry that I didn't take any pics ... 

Thanks