The Building of My '64 Convertible, Pt II

Dave64

I actually built the engine a whole year before I began the tear down on her, so it sat against the wall and watched as I got the car ready for it.  The engine is a 0.040" over 327 with 10.5:1 compression.  It has the requisite 870 block, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, Crower Sportsman 5.7" rods,  Comp Cams Nostalgia 30/30 solid camshaft, Edelbrock Performer EPS intake manifold, ARP fasteners throughout and a bunch of other stuff that made it expensive.  As to whether or not, the engine is a correct Corvette number, one must only look at the engine and take note of the numbers on it.  In the meantime, I also bought a Tremec 5-speed transmission, which also sat and watched (the warranty ran out before it ever moved the car an inch). 

I have absolutely no idea of how much time I spent cleaning stuff on the wire wheel ( nuts, bolts, brackets, etc.), standing at the bead blaster or standing and sanding.  As stuff was cleaned, I decided whether it as to be painted, plated or powder coated.  I found a small shop in north Phoenix who chrome plated several small parts and polished all the stainless trim parts.  I had the frame straightened then had it and all the suspension parts powder coated, as my research found it was actually cheaper than painting AND much more durable.  I sent the steering box out for professional rebuild; had the third member gone through, bought front end rebuild kit, new body bushings and rear end bushings.  I rebuilt both trailing arms and components.  I went to Tom's Differentials and found some plates for the rear portion of the frame to weld in and reinforce a couple of weak points in the Corvette frame. I painted all the brake and fuel lines with aluminum paint so they would stay looking good longer.  I even powder coated the brake lines for the front end (under hood ones) because they would fit in the oven.  (I have an Eastwood home powder coating kit)

I converted the front brakes to '78 - '87 vette discs.  I used a '67 vette master cylinder that required the hood brace to be modified.  The guy, who's shop I was in, did the work and it's beautiful.  Of course, I did this after I purchased parts and rebuilt the drums brakes (anyone need some restored front brake assemblies?).  This required a proportioning valve and residual pressure valve.  After I did the conversion this way, I found I could have done it much easier by using a master cylinder from a '67, or so Camaro one, because the early ones had front discs with rear drums like my setup. 

After I had rounded up most of what I needed for the frame, I brought it home and started to put it together.  The job was not nearly as daunting as I thought it would be, as I had bagged and tagged every part when it was removed and was smart enough to put the refinished/cleaned parts right back in their bags.  After about three months of work, I had enough components together to start and break-in the engine.  The sound it made made tears come to my eyes - not it wasn't the oil burning off the headers.  It had been about 10 years since I had heard it run.

all 069.jpg

all 072.jpg

all 078.jpg

all 074.jpg

all 075.jpg

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0340.jpg

You're doing a pretty good job there young man! :cheers

you do know this is a history lesson right Bob?

That, it is.  In fact she has scratches and bugs smashed on her now days.

This is called a dream job. One were complaining isn't allowed. 

Beautiful work :thumbs  

Dave,

Who did you use to do the chrome work?  I'd like to get my bumpers re-chromed and have been thinking of sending them to Virginia Vettes but would just as soon use some place local.

- Jeff

Thanks Dawg.  I appreciate your words.

Jeff, Royal Plating in Tucson (520-622-7826) did the bumpers, but I'm not real proud of the final product from them.  A guy named Tom Haltmyer did all the stainless polishing and small chrome parts.  I can't find his number right now, but will keep looking.