NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Finally Got Pics Of My Rear End Mods/repair

dewey

I can only take credit for buying the parts. Jerry Larsh from Southern Arizona Corvette club did the work. I am not brave enough to try rebuilding a differential.

Robert, not quite yet. She'll go on the Karchner Caverns cruise, and she went on the Tombstone cruise, but she needs some more work before I consider taking her on a cruise any longer than that.

Planned mods for the future:

1. Aluminum radiator with electric fans

2. steering repair (pump leaks like crazy, other than that, she works fine, steering wise, unsure if I want to go for an immediate fix, or wait a little longer for Steeroids, could possibly do both, but not too crazy about that idea)

3. front end suspension upgrade, 99.9% set on front monospring/poly bushing conversion

4. Keisler 5-speed auto-to-manual conversion (once this gets done, I'll cruise anywhere)

Motor still seems like she's fairly strong (as strong as an L48 can be, I guess), so the motor will probably be my last upgrade (like C3s are ever finished). Anyone have any knowledge on 383's with fuel injection??? Cosmetic stuff will wait until mechanical stuff is done. Will tone down the interior some, all that red is pretty intense, will throw some more black inside in places. Paint is horrible, but that will probably be the last thing I do. Brake upgrade can wait, had to stop pretty hard yesterday, and had no worries. But of course, no knowledge of previous owner's work, so the bearings may have never been done, so this list may change...lol

:rant

Very clean-will be a joy to work on later with all the rust and dirt knocked off. New parts are the bomb! :clap

M~

Anyone have any knowledge on 383's with fuel injection???

elkabong has a 383 in his 84 (with crossfire)

if it'll fit (you'd have to check the block casting number to see if it fits) i have a short block i'd like to get rid of in my sig

That came out looking great, nice work!!!

3. front end suspension upgrade, 99.9% set on front monospring/poly bushing conversion

I would suggest trying to find someone that already has the front mono-spring installed, and go for a ride in it first. I did and thought it was way bouncy, and very stiff. If you like the ride with your new fiberglass rear spring, you will hate the front mono-spring....

You might want to consider the "touring" kit or even the "street/slalom" kit depending on how much racing you plan on doing with it...

And yes Chris's 383 will bolt right in...

Planned mods for the future:

1. Aluminum radiator with electric fans

I can say from experience. The aluminum Rad with Spall Electric fans is the best setup (Bee cool, ron davis, or whomever). I ran a Big Block on a freeway off ramp in summer heat (117* on the bank sign, so 130* on the street) and the car was at 176* (T stat was a 170*)

2. steering repair (pump leaks like crazy, other than that, she works fine, steering wise, unsure if I want to go for an immediate fix, or wait a little longer for Steeroids, could possibly do both, but not too crazy about that idea)

I got a rebuilt power arm and pump. Replaced the hoses and never had a lick of problems. I thought long and hard about the Steeroids but my gut feeling told me no. I was never comfortable with the Cost/Hacking install/straying from OEM vs. the benfit.

Ride in one first. You may not be happy. For less money upgrade the sway bar and get good shocks (I was impress with the high quality NAPA units).

4. Keisler 5-speed auto-to-manual conversion (once this gets done, I'll cruise anywhere)

This one caused me the most grief, Money, and pain (next to the engine). But if I had to do it again..... Id do it in a heart beat. THe car became a freight train in 1st , 2nd, and 3rd. 5th gear put me at 75MPH at 1500rpm (3.08 rear). ahhhh cruising speed.

Brake upgrade can wait, had to stop pretty hard yesterday, and had no worries.

I did a Brake booster upgrade. I changed from a vacuum to a hydraulic unit. It was powered from the power steering pump. Holey cow did they work.

cheers

chad

+1 on ChadC's response.

I went with a Dewitt's aluminum radiator and dual spals. Worked great.

Keep in mind that you will need to replace the seals around the radiator and the front of the hood when you replace the radiator.

Go to Dr. Rebuild for the seals, he has the correct stuff.

As for the steeroids stuff there is abit of work involved and some guys had some issues.

I believe there was a guy working on a Jeep powersteering conversion or something, better technology, blah blah. Search on CF for that one.

As for the suspension, I had a 76 L-48, went with a 400+ lb. rear fiberglass spring, big block springs in the front, poly bushing EVERYWHERE, and the heaviest shocks that Biltstein makes, did wonders for the car.

Plus with the poly, it won't rot. Got all that stuff from VanSteel.

I didn't put a new tranny in mine before I sold it, but it was definately on the list.

BTW, have you had the trailing arms checked and the rear wheel bearings done?

Looks good, my composite spring came with a heat shield though, did yours? It's just wide enough to shield your exhaust pipes.

Good spot there Keith... :thumbs

Dewey, if you don't have a heat shield, let me know, I think I have one.....

The heat shield isn't there. However, I did find the installation instructions, but I know there isn't 3 inches between the pipes and the spring, but there is the center mount plate, which probably isn't enough.

However, the thought popped into my mind of how I could fix it without a heat shield:

Side pipes!!!

But seriously, just let me know how much you want for it.

Lot's of good info. Mark in Vegas (BigBadOrange on CF) is the only guy I know with the front monospring installed, so I'll ask for a ride next time I'm up there.

Been leaning toward DeWitt's aluminum rad, +dual SPALs anyway, and thanks for the info on Doc Rebuild having the seals. Of course, going to clean up whatever comes out that's going back in.

Wonder if he's got the metal trim for the back window? The metal trim is loose. Need to check his site. I've got it bookmarked.

Have heard a couple of fabrication nightmare stories on the Steeroids, so now, having second thoughts. Didn't Bryan have to do some fabrication on his? Thinking I'll probably just go for a rebuild. Steering isn't bad, just thought about going all the way, but I need some more info...and time. With the exception of the reservoir leaking, not a big issue.

Had the brakes and bearings looked at when I bought it (needed the parking brake fixed to ship it on the boat, Tim and Mark know what I mean), and I keep a close ear on anything that might not sound right. That being said, she says she's at almost 59K (won't put anything past previous owners), so when it's time for new pads, I'll probably just go through that whole set-up, for peace of mind. But of course, that will mean snazzy new rotors, SS o-ring calipers and all that jazz.

That brake booster idea sounds pretty cool, will have to give that one some thought.

Great news that you liked the 5-speed. Was that the TKO-500 or TKO-600? I'm thinking I want the .64 OD.

Great news that you liked the 5-speed. Was that the TKO-500 or TKO-600? I'm thinking I want the .64 OD.

I dont recall. I know my BB was putting out close to 400Tq and that helped the SOP feeling with first though third.

Id go with the TKO has the lower 5th gear ratio. Fifth gear will be for crusing, good MPG, and Less heat/noise. Evan with a TQ monster I still had to down shift out of fifth to make her get up and fly.

Check out my How To with the Brake Booster

http://www.corvetteforum.com/techtips/view...0&TopicID=3

Lookin' good! :thumbs Any SBC will fit into that car but if you plan on spending the cash to go to a 383 stroker, spend a couple more dollars on a different crank and make it a 396cid which would be cheaper than a 427 or 454 SBC build. I'm looking at getting another crank for mine already to make it a 396. All I need to do is change the crank, everything else is already done including using the 6" rods. :) I think a 396 crossfire would be bitchin'! :thumbs

That looks fantastic..... Great job on the instal. I have been contemplating the front mono spring for Melissa's Vette but I would like to feel the ride first too.

Can't wait to see it when we go down to Tucson.

Andrew

That looks fantastic..... Great job on the instal. I have been contemplating the front mono spring for Melissa's Vette but I would like to feel the ride first too.

Can't wait to see it when we go down to Tucson.

Andrew

Just don't look at the paint job....