NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

I Can’t Wait For The Checker 500 Next Week.

Phoenix FRC

This is a great story.

My mother works for Chapman Chevrolet in Tempe and she got the Salesperson of the month for the month of October.. That was cool, Congrats Mom..

So she calls me this morning and says guess what? She won tickets for the race.. woohoo. That’s cool because by the time all my colleagues from work got their act together and gave me a headcount for the race, I couldn’t get a good ticket so my mother and I just bought tickets for the April race figuring we’d just watch the November race on TV..

Well… believe it or not this story just keeps getting better.

I’m on my way over to Luke AFB to this morning and my mother calls me and says hey, these tickets are Chevrolet hospitality tickets and we get to go meet the drivers, and they include lunch, the seats are in the suites, Aaahhaaahh…. this just keeps getting better.

So she’s reading this to me and continues to read that we get to be a driver with the ride along with the drivers in the driver introduction….

So she consults with the General Manager at Chapman and this means that this driver ticket means you will drive the car or truck while the race driver is sitting in the back waving at the fans, driving on the race track with one of the cup drivers in the car.

Then about 2 hours later she calls me and I’m on I10 east bound returning from Luke and she asks me, “do you want to drive the car Tom”????.... She said she’d be too nervous and she can be in the truck if its one of the 11th thru 43rd place drivers on the starting grid but if its one of the top 10 on the starting grid then I’ll have to drive the car alone and the first 10 cars are Convertible Corvettes.. – and - she doesn’t want to drive it and she wants me to drive it..

How this works, we check in at 10:00 in the Chevrolet Hospitality tent and meet the Chevy drivers and one of them will usually give a 20 minute talk about something, last year Tony Stewart talked about his anger management.

Then at 12:00 they will shuttle us to the Infield and BTW, it comes with the Infield pass.

Then at 12:15 they give us instructions on how to drive the cars, how fast etc.

At that time we pull numbers out of a hat and the number is coincident to the starting grid so if I pick #1 then I will drive the car for the driver sitting on the poll etc.

At 12:24 we start driving around the track according to our order.

Once that’s done they will shuttle us to the suites where we will watch the race. They said often we will miss the first few laps at the start of the race.

What else, they gave us a Chapman T-Shirt because we need to represent Chapman, no problem. They gave 50 dollars to spend and it comes with meal tickets, we get to eat off the menu, not one of the crusty burger stands, well, actually I like the burger stands.

So… needless to say, I am so pumped… I can’t wait. :yesnod:thumbs

Very :cool

I can't say that I'm a Nascar fan but this sounds like fun and a memory you and Mom won't soon forget. Congrats!

Guess your seats...ummm, whole package is better than mine.:(

But very :cool for you....I guess.

I'll be among the masses...not the drivers.

Wow how cool is that. You are going to enjoy this. If you see Kenny Schrader, Tell him that Mike from Quincy says HI. He well know who you mean. I have had the privilege of exchanging paint with Kenny a few times. Enjoy the show and take lots of pictures. :D

Guest UVETTYA

Hey Tom, if something should come up and you can't make it, I just thougth I'd let you know I'd be willing to stand in for you. :yesnod

And Congratulations!. That is really cool. :thumbs

Guest XLR8TNC5
Hey Tom, if something should come up and you can't make it, I just thougth I'd let you know I'd be willing to stand in for you. :yesnod

And Congratulations!. That is really cool. :thumbs

I think this rocks and it is an opportunity of a lifetime. Kudos to you and your connections with the momma at Chapman! Very :cool!" Enjoy and have fun!

Tanya