CPR installs one of the first magnuson superchargers on a C7

joe@cpr.com

joe@cpr.com
We had the pleasure of having magnuson superchargers ask us to test out one of their heartbeat kits for the new C7. We were instructed to give them install feedback, iat data, boost levels, hp, etc. etc. In the video the orange lid is custom powder coated per the owners request.
The vehicle we used was a 2014 manual non z51 car. The vehicle was all stock except for our 2'' headers we make in house and a corsa exhaust. Now keep in mind we have horrible conditions for making hp, our da is terrible, temp's are high, and our 91 octane might as well be water. But the car still laid down some great numbers considering the conditions and the iat's were flat out awesome in terms of rise during the pull and recovery time.
Here is boost and iat data.
On the stock pulley after several runs we started at 133 deg F intake air temp and by the end of the pull was 149 deg F. With the stock pulley we saw ~6 psi peak and the duration of the pull was ~9.6 seconds from 1500 rpm to 6600 rpm on a standard non-loaded dynojet in 4th gear.
Then switching to the smaller pulley we saw ~7 psi peak with a starting IAT of ~135 and ending at 156 deg F with a duration of ~9.0 seconds from 1500 rpm to 6600 rpm. **we had magnuson send us a 4mm smaller pulley to see what it would do in regards to boost levels, as with headers you will want to slightly spin it a tad faster. This was perfect, pulley was swapped with the car on the dyno and no belt change was needed.**
Hp numbers. The car made 509/538 and I have attached the graph and a link to the dyno video. Car will be coming back in a few weeks for a custom cam, flex fuel, and a much smaller pulley :D
If anyone is interested in a magnuson kit, or any forced induction for that matter feel free to contact us. No one in AZ has more experience with the C7's than us hands down! :thumbs::thumbs:

post-1028-0-93453500-1433989049_thumb.jp

post-1028-0-11640500-1433989076_thumb.jp

I for one am not impressed.

509 with three reductions in pullies.

What's the dollar cost average per improved hp?

joe@cpr.com

There was only 1 pulley swap, standard from the kit and one 4 mm smaller. These car's are insanely octane limited, car was at 8 degree's peak, other shop's are flat out turning the knock sensors off and making more but guess what Nic and myself will not play that game. Here is a good example of how bad these cars are. Ron's C7 that we built made 707 rwhp w/ a cam, novi 1500, pump, meth, our headers, through an auto. on e85 w/ zero changes to the pulley it made 841 rwhp! These cars are extremely easy to put a blower on as there is no pinning the crank, no injectors to swap, and no boost a pump. We can honestly install an ecs kit in a touch over 8 hours, heck i've installed them and had them on the dyno in the same day. Just wait until he goes with some good gas and the numbers really shoot up.

Stock PD blowers have NEVER been impressive. 509rwhp is about what all maggies make on a stock engine with headers. Friends SLP maggie camaro did 460rwhp with blower, added headers, made 499.

Now add a bunch of boost, cam, etc etc etc and you can get a solid 600+ but not everyone wants that.

A good 120rwhp gain from just slapping a PD blower on isn't bad at all.

That Magnuson was one of the nicest PD blowers I've seen. Very clean install and it actually looked better than the stock Z06 blower. 509/538 rwhp is certainly nothing to sneeze at, especially with so little else done to the car. Near Z06 performance for someone who has already invested in the C7. PD blowers may not have the huge power gains of the big hair drier blowers, but they make the car feel like a big cube motor. Instant power, perfect for someone who doesn't need to chase the big numbers and all of the associated "upgrades" required to use it.

What is the displacement of the blower? That will have a lot to do with its overall efficiency and power capabilities. Given the environmental conditions and timing limitations, I really don't think the power output is shabby at all, actually quite the contrary.

Meanwhile, I am just going to sit here and hope for a Kenne Bell 3.6 or 4.2 Liter huffer to really whack some air into one of these things. That is when we will see the big PD supercharger numbers, as long as there is an intercooler worth a shit under it.

Which is why vette/Camaro PD setups never make the huge numbers the mustangs ones do. The cowl/hood/etc limit the intercooler size even with the huge blowers. Had a heartbeat on a 434ci Camaro, and no matter what the intercoolers can't move more than 1000rwhp worth of air. Pulled the blower off and made 1460rwhp.

Which is why vette/Camaro PD setups never make the huge numbers the mustangs ones do. The cowl/hood/etc limit the intercooler size even with the huge blowers. Had a heartbeat on a 434ci Camaro, and no matter what the intercoolers can't move more than 1000rwhp worth of air. Pulled the blower off and made 1460rwhp.

I can see it, and believe it sounds like both the blower and the IC were holding the thing back, assuming a Dual Power Adder arrangement.

Since the LT1s, and the LS platform for that matter do not have the Grand Canyon between the cylinder heads like the Fords do, the only way to go is up. I still wanna see it, though :)

joe@cpr.com

What is the displacement of the blower? That will have a lot to do with its overall efficiency and power capabilities. Given the environmental conditions and timing limitations, I really don't think the power output is shabby at all, actually quite the contrary.

Meanwhile, I am just going to sit here and hope for a Kenne Bell 3.6 or 4.2 Liter huffer to really whack some air into one of these things. That is when we will see the big PD supercharger numbers, as long as there is an intercooler worth a shit under it.

2.3L , on a very efficient setup we have made 900 rwhp on a 2.3 L blower so they do have great power potential just takes a lot to get there.

Imagine what we can do with the Z06 once the horsepower gods give us a viable alternative to this teeny piece of dung...

(Click to Enlarge)

post-1078-0-31152600-1434043326_thumb.jp

Not to hijack this, but I thought there was a shop out east that did put a 2.3L on an LT4 already. (On the big Forum).

joe@cpr.com

Not to hijack this, but I thought there was a shop out east that did put a 2.3L on an LT4 already. (On the big Forum).

they did, lingenfelter and I believe vengance did a e-force on one. You have to machine it some to line up w/ the heads and a few other things but it's doable.

Yah, eforces are out. They didn't do the first TVS, just the first maggie. Edelbrock has c7 kits shipping and several shops have done those.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.