-SOLD- SAKO/Lawson custom varmint rifle (.243 Win.)

DRYHEAT

-SOLD-

I had this rifle custom built for me in the mid 1980s. I needed a varmint rifle that could shoot a heavier (super-expanding) bullet than the .223/5.56 I was using on prairie dogs in Eastern Montana. Sometimes MT had too much wind for the 50 gr. SX projectiles we used in the AR rifles. Through trial and error I found the 85 gr. SX .243 bullets to be the answer.

When a new SAKO Forrester barreled action in .243 Win. (with a 23” varmint barrel) became available through a favorite distributer I snapped it up. After that I decided on a Harry Lawson Cochise Thumbhole stock to complete the build. Since I am NOT a gunsmith I had Lawson do the work in Tucson, AZ: free floated barrel + 2 level upgrade on the walnut used and a “bowling ball” gloss finish.

When the rifle arrived back from Tucson I added the Leupold Vari-X III 6.5x20 scope (using Finnish SAKO rings) with Butler Creek scope flip caps.

To make the gun absolutely recoiless I sent it to KDF for their muzzle brake. They threaded the barrel and installed the brake and returned it to me in less than a week. My reasoning for the KDF was we were shooting critters the size of a 16 oz. beer can out to 400+ yards using 20x power scopes… any movement off the target at that magnification would not allow to see the bullet impact. This would make adjustments for follow up shots much more of a guess. With the brake you got to see everything and make quick follow up shots if needed.

I hunted with an 8 man group from WA for 15 years in a row, 5 years with this gun. I moved to AZ 14 years ago and have not hunted since. This great rifle sits in the dark corner of the safe, un-shot, seemingly unloved. It really needs a better owner than me!

The SAKO has a 386 round count (the several .223 ARs had thousands+ down the pipe) as it was brought out only for mild to stout wind duty.

(in the mid 80s I paid $3485.60 total for the barreled SAKO action/SAKO rings, Harry Lawson stock plus assembly & finishing, and the Leupold scope)

The rifle with the Leupold scope is $1675. The rifle (with SAKO rings) is $1100.
FTF in the greater PHX area. IM with any questions. First I’ll take it gets it.
Xt6wbSs.jpg
S0v2Ewm.jpg
0QjCQ60.jpg
CEt7WwG.jpg
26V3PEh.jpg
mlS74Di.jpg
xzjtbNq.jpg
This ad is posted only here and on one local AZ gun forum as I really don’t want to have to pack/ship/insure/drive to an FFL/pay FFL charges…etc.
If in 2 weeks (May 30) it doesn’t sell I will list on several national gun forums.
Don’t make me do that.

Sweet looking rifle.

XTCHARLEY, learn to shoot right handed. I did, it's easy. Just takes a little to get over the eye dominance.

that is a super sweet rifle, I think I'd have a hard time letting that go. Good luck with the sale :thumbs