NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Esc - Sensor On An 82??

Phill's Vette

Phill's Vette

While fixing something else.... I found the ESC connection plug lose, I took it off and it did not appear to be connected - no contact to the sensor and the plug and wires are damaged, I think the connector on the ESC is also damaged.

There is a blue insulated wire and a silver colored bare wire that run to this sensor; both are wrapped in a heat insulation type sleeve. I don't think there was any connection form these wires to the ESC because of the damage, I have wrapped the wires to avoid further damage and have tied them back out of the way. The car doesn't seem to run any different but I have always had a rather rough idle and it will sometimes cut while running in the lower gears at higher RPM.

Showing no codes! No code 43

:crazy QUESTIONS:

What exactly does this sensor do?

Where can I get a replacement harness/plug ?(Unlike any other I've seen on the car)

Where can I find a replacement sensor? ( Ecklers/Zip don't seem to stock)

Would this be the cause of the running problems stated above?

Thanks as always!

Hey Phill. That's way messed up! The ESC is connected to your knock sensor and the ECM. When the knock sensor hears what it thinks is detonation or noise, it sends the signal to the ESC module which in turn sends a signal to the ECM to pull advance timing out or (retard) the timing until no more signal is received from the knock sensor and the ECM will then add or advance the timing.

I can only guess why those wires are like that and I don't think it was for an ideal condition unfortunately. You may have some other issues to attend to as well. I'll be up at the Pavillions tonight and see you there and we can talk. Jim will be up there as well along with another CF guy we met.

Phill's Vette
Hey Phill. That's way messed up! The ESC is connected to your knock sensor and the ECM. When the knock sensor hears what it thinks is detonation or noise, it sends the signal to the ESC module which in turn sends a signal to the ECM to pull advance timing out or (retard) the timing until no more signal is received from the knock sensor and the ECM will then add or advance the timing.

I can only guess why those wires are like that and I don't think it was for an ideal condition unfortunately. You may have some other issues to attend to as well. I'll be up at the Pavillions tonight and see you there and we can talk. Jim will be up there as well along with another CF guy we met.

Tom,

I will be at the Pavillions around 5 - 5:30.

See ya there :howdy

Phill, I was there and just now got back. I didn't see your 82 anywhere or at least in the vette row anyway. I sat there with Jim and another 82 owner Ron until about 8:40pm.

Did you go tonight? If you did, sorry we didn't get to meet.