NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Cat Converter Rattling??

Phill's Vette

Phill's Vette

My cat converters are new and the right one has an internal rattle, doesn't this mean it s bad? Also, are there any benefit to removing them except when it's emissions time?

Thanks!

My cat converters are new and the right one has an internal rattle, doesn't this mean it s bad? Also, are there any benefit to removing them except when it's emissions time?

Thanks!

A rattling cat is not a good thing. The internals are made of a ceramic like honeycomb material. It should not rattle. If you run without cats, it will likely flow a little better but I never thought it was worth the increased emmissions and the hassle of swapping em out for DMV to sniff ya.

:2cents

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

Usually when the converters start to raddle its because the honeycone insides have broken away from the outer portion of the cat and are just "bouncing" around inside the housing.

As far as removing them, its a personal issue. I know my car has passed emissions 3 different times with gutted cats (I did not even know they were gutted until i had the exhaust swapped). So in short , a well tuned car w/o cats will still pass emissions (cept the visual :P )

Phill's Vette

Thank you all for the info!

I will be "repairing" the cats and will need them welded back in.

Questions:

* Must cats be welded per fed law or can they be bolted in?

* Do you know anyone locally that can do some welding on my exaust pipes?

Thanks! :flag

3,503 lbs of trouble
:agree It will most likely plug up.

It will probably eventually plug up. Happened on a Mercedes at work. Was rattling at start of shift, boss said that Mercedes said to drive it. Plugged up in Tucson. Cat was glowing red, and the sensor connected to it said it was 3,000+ degrees Celsius. 100 miles flatbed ride back. Same car's new cat is rattling again. Another new exhaust ordered from Germany!

* Do you know anyone locally that can do some welding on my exaust pipes?

Doug Bromley specializes in C3s and exhaust systems. He can weld one in for you. (480) 390-2652

Mmmmm...that would be 5,432* F. I doubt it got that hot or anywhere near that temp. Sure that wasn't a DMC with a nuclear power plant in back with a 3.2 jigawatt flux capacitor? doh! :cfdeadagain

3,503 lbs of trouble
Mmmmm...that would be 5,432* F. I doubt it got that hot or anywhere near that temp.

All I know is what the reading from the sensors said it was, and when the hood was opened, the cat was glowing bright red, and a part of the exhaust manifold had melted.