NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Oil sending unit, bad?

garfieldxcruz

garfieldxcruz

My 2005 C6 oil pressure gauge reads 80psi. It's pegged. The digital display reads 126 to 130psi. I figured the oil sending unit was the problem. Has anyone had this type of problem before? And I hear you can fix it without taking off the exhaust manifold. Looks like one hell of a tight place to get to. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, the sender failed. Happened on my c5 & 04 silverado... common gm problem.

You won't have to remove the exhaust manifolds but probably the intake manifold. The sensor is on top of the valley cover at the rear of the motor, behind the intake manifold

Touch base with Joe @ Classic Gold .... he can swap it out for you in about 20 mins ........... no intake removal necessary

In the 10 years of owning my car, I've paid to have this replaced, and replaced it myself. I think I'm on my 4th or 5th one. I've found that the sensor from O'Reilly's has had the best longevity thus far. The shortest time for one to fail was one purchased from dealership (went out within days of installation & installation was from a professional garage).

I replaced the one in my C5 once...very early in the 9 years I had her. Never went bad again. I bought that one from CheckerAuto...now O'Reilly's.

• 2 weeks later...
garfieldxcruz

Thanks to all of your responses. Seems to me this should be a recall item. Again thanks for all your help. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 07 z...my Guage reads 0 ! I have a gmpp warranty with 100 deductible. ..should I try to do the repair or pay the 100 ? Kinda wondering the cost of the sensor ?? Thx

Are you sure you have oil pressure? I thought when the sensor fails, it reads max, not zero.

That's why I relocated mine to the front of the Engine. I knew sooner or later id have to do it again

So you're saying there's a salvage yard in Tucson with a relocation kit???

I have a 07 z...my Guage reads 0 ! I have a gmpp warranty with 100 deductible. ..should I try to do the repair or pay the 100 ? Kinda wondering the cost of the sensor ?? Thx

About $41 at O'Reilly's

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MPI0/280014/03438.oap?year=2007&make=Chevrolet&model=Corvette&vi=1433663&ck=Search_oil+pressure+sensor%21s%21switch_1433663_-1&keyword=oil+pressure+sensor%21s%21switch

old yeller

:highfive:

Funny but.. He kept the Engine so my guess is no. But you could make your own pretty easy. All you have to do is extend the wires.

• 1 year later...