NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Brake Bleeding - Which Wheel First?

Guest UVETTYA

Guest UVETTYA

There seems to be some controversy over which wheel to bleed and in which order thereafter. Of course logic would dictate that one should bleed the caliper furthest from the master cylinder and work your way closer, but there may be other considerations for the Z06. Does anyone know the diffinitive answer? I ordered a set of speed bleeders today from www.speedbleeder.com and I can't wait for them to get here.

BTW, I'm doing tranny and gear fluids on Wednesday - come on over and we'll make it an extravaganza. I'm thinking of trying Royan Purple Syncromax in the tranny.

Thanks in advance! :thumbs

God bless America :flag

hey can i come with my dirty car? when is this? weds. the 25th? what time?

i have my diff fluid, but couldn't get the damn drain plug out at andrews that day i made a damn mess with my trans fluid all over melissas garage floor - and was so fed up with that pump, i left it for him (hopefully to throw it in the trash)

Guest Steve Mulvey

When we bled the race car brakes, we typically started with the wheel that was closest to the tools and then randomly selected the next one depending upon how the car was jacked up. I am not kidding for a change. The air in the system is usually in the caliper and not the lines... I believe that you will find that there is a check valve in the system to prevent backwash.

I am not sure that you can bleed out the air with ABS - it seems that I recall ABS being the most likely to aerate the fluid every time it starts pulsating. If you are doing a lot of track stuff, you should really get rid of the ABS anyway. I'll give you the explanation when I see you..

Steve (the other one, not the whippersnapper who likes to speed...)

Guest UVETTYA

i have my diff fluid, but couldn't get the damn drain plug out at andrews that day i made a damn mess with my trans fluid all over melissas garage floor - and was so fed up with that pump, i left it for him (hopefully to throw it in the trash)

Yep, tomorrow. I'm going to start early - around 8. If you want to start earlier just let me know. As soon as it even starts to get warm I'm done. I'll have a pump you can use to put the new fluid in and I think we can get the drain plug out - it takes a shorty 3/8 extension.

Here's a map: http://tinyurl.com/ymursk

I saw the mess you made at A&M's, so bring your body condom. :smilelol

Guest UVETTYA
When we bled the race car brakes, we typically started with the wheel that was closest to the tools and then randomly selected the next one depending upon how the car was jacked up. I am not kidding for a change. The air in the system is usually in the caliper and not the lines... I believe that you will find that there is a check valve in the system to prevent backwash.

I am not sure that you can bleed out the air with ABS - it seems that I recall ABS being the most likely to aerate the fluid every time it starts pulsating. If you are doing a lot of track stuff, you should really get rid of the ABS anyway. I'll give you the explanation when I see you..

Steve (the other one, not the whippersnapper who likes to speed...)

Thanks Steve. I'm not going to be doing that much track stuff... once or twice a year. It's too expensive and I can't tap into my inflatable doll money... :huh

From what I've read, the biggest problem is introducing air into the system. That requires a tech II and following a bleeding procedure at the stealership. Don't want to go to the stealership! :bang

I think the bleeders will work just fine. I've read reviews by dozen's of satisified Corvette owners. :thumbs

Yep, tomorrow. I'm going to start early - around 8. If you want to start earlier just let me know. As soon as it even starts to get warm I'm done. I'll have a pump you can use to put the new fluid in and I think we can get the drain plug out - it takes a shorty 3/8 extension.

Here's a map: http://tinyurl.com/ymursk

I saw the mess you made at A&M's, so bring your body condom. :smilelol

jias.gif We're still cleaning that mess........ :lol:smilelol

Why Wed. instead of a Sunday???? pensativo.gif

Have fun..... Do you need the Pump??????? perdona.gif For the oil, I mean!!!!! XD.gif

Andrew

Thanks Steve. I'm not going to be doing that much track stuff... once or twice a year. It's too expensive and I can't tap into my inflatable doll money... :huh

From what I've read, the biggest problem is introducing air into the system. That requires a tech II and following a bleeding procedure at the stealership. Don't want to go to the stealership! :bang

I think the bleeders will work just fine. I've read reviews by dozen's of satisified Corvette owners. :thumbs

You don't need no stinking dealership... :banghead

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1...0&SKU=35714

get one of those babies and say goodbye to air in the lines forever! :cool

that's cool and all, but this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motive-0250...sspagenameZWDVW

joe (92ZR1Wannabe) actually has, and we power bled my brakes on my '92 with one of these.

Guest UVETTYA

I could up my post count, but I'll answer several of you here in this ONE post. :D

As with everything else, everyone will find what works for them and then swear by that method. :lol

The Motive type pumps were getting bad reviews because they're sometimes messy at the master cylinder.

The vacuum pumps were getting bad reviews because they can leak, they're messy and aren't as efficient as the motive type pump.

The easiest solution seemed to be the speed bleeders and there were no complaints at all about them. Only good reviews. They sell a hose and bag kit for $6 - you put the hose over the bleeder, open it, pump the pedal a few times, close the bleeder and you're done with that wheel. Refill the master and move to the next wheel. Takes about 10 minutes to do all 4 and there is no mess if you're careful.

As for you there sidesaddle, it's hard to get you to do anything on a Sunday, so STFU! :lol (I love talking tuff to guys twice my size) ar ar ar :leaving

And Andrew my friend, we're not dissing you and your lovely wife with your generous offers to allow us to have gear oil parties all over your garage floor on Sunday mornings. (sounds kinky) :smilelol -- I just need to do my fluids soon. Since tracking it and seeing engine oil temps of 293 I'm sure the tranny and diff temps were even higher. I expect the fluid will be pretty much toast. I should have done it already.

Sunday is our cruisin day so doing lubes only makes my co-pilot restless and it's hard to cruise with a restless co-pilot, no? :yesnod If you're going to feel sad if we don't do it at your place, and if sidesaddle will show up after complaining about Wednesday, and if Chris can wait until Sunday, then I'll wait too. :howdy I enjoy a crowd and especially this crowd so if we wait until Sunday and can get more people together, that's fine with me. :thumbs

So unless we plan it for this Sunday at A&M's before morning, I'll be putting mine up on the ramps about 8 am. Any and all are welcome to come by and watch/help/laugh/make a mess/socialize/criticize/get in the way. :thumbs

602 538-9865

Steve

Just don't drain out the MC, getting air in the ABS system is a big no no, only way to bleed it is to cycle the ABS system via a tech tool only dealers usually have. Aside from that, it really doesn't matter, but I still start from the furthest wheel out.

Steve - due to the fact that we will be going to costco TOMORROW - let's just stick with the plan to do it tomorrow!

Guest UVETTYA
Steve - due to the fact that we will be going to costco TOMORROW - let's just stick with the plan to do it tomorrow!

OK. See you at 8?

Guest UVETTYA
i'll be there at 8ish - more than likely a little after 8

need me to bring anything?

Fluids. Although I have enough Mobil1 75W90 to do yours, I just don't have friction modifier.

I have a pump, a drain pan, some jugs for waste, rhino ramps, jack stands, tools, beer. Shouldn't take more than a couple hours to do both. :yesnod

i'll be there at 8ish - more than likely a little after 8

need me to bring anything?

Fluids. Although I have enough Mobil1 75W90 to do yours, I just don't have friction modifier.

I have a pump, a drain pan, some jugs for waste, rhino ramps, jack stands, tools, beer. Shouldn't take more than a couple hours to do both. :yesnod

cool - i got my royal purple (with friction modifier "built in") so i'll see ya in the morning

I was just curious. If I didn't have to work, I would go "help" you and Chris.

Let us know how big of a mess you end up with...... :D

Andrew

Guest UVETTYA
I was just curious. If I didn't have to work, I would go "help" you and Chris.

Let us know how big of a mess you end up with...... :D

Andrew

Uh, we won't be making a mess. I'm prepared. You can't just start yanking plugs out. :willy

And you or anyone else is welcome to stop by Andrew. :thumbs

Guest UVETTYA

Well, I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is my fluids are done. The bad news is Chris' are not. We couldn't get the diff drain plug out. I had the right allen wrench but the plug head is stripped out. We bought a new plug on our second trip to the dealership, but couldn't find an easy-out big enough to get the old plug out. Dammit. :bang

Hey Chris, remember you promised not to tell anyone that I put the friction modifier in my tranny fluid (it goes in the DIFF, silly me) and then put the fluid in the tranny before I realized my mistake and we had to go to the dealership and buy new tranny fluid and friction modifier then drain and refill the tranny AGAIN. That would be too embarassing to admit so thanks for keeping that a secret. :cheers

:clap Is that what happened? I came by like 10:20 or so and all I found was Chris' car up on jackstands but nary a soul. :huh I was gonna prank his ass by taking his wheels off like they got swiped :devil , but I realized my wheel key more than likely wouldn't fit his. :D

Did you at least make it to Costco? :lol

:clap Is that what happened? I came by like 10:20 or so and all I found was Chris' car up on jackstands but nary a soul. :huh I was gonna prank his ass by taking his wheels off like they got swiped :devil , but I realized my wheel key more than likely wouldn't fit his. :D

Did you at least make it to Costco? :lol

that would have been scary - i don't have any wheel locks on my car! :eek

If it is the same as mine, it is not a recessed pug.. even thou the head is stripped, You might be able to get a basin wrench on the out side edges and turn it that way. :D