NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Will Not Keep Running

Don&Patty

Not my week. First the door lock relay goes out now it will not stay running. If ran fine yesterday but when I started it this morning it runs really rough and wants to quit. The RPM’s go to almost to 0 then back up to 600 or 700 then back down. Right after I start it I can get some higher RPM’s by pushing the accelerator but within a few seconds the engine speed does not pick up accelerating. What gives???????? Any ideas??????? Probably should have posted this in the tech. section, oh well.

Guest Sidewinder

These cars a very sensative to battery voltage. Bad battery?

Check your grounds in the engine bay and check your DIC codes.

You may have a bad sensor also.

Also, check the clamps on the air bridge. Unmetered air will cause this.

:D

Any chance you got some bad gas? I have seen cars that would barely keep running after gasing up. Emptied out some of the gas and put fresh in and everything was OK.

have you had any tuning done on the car?

it IS getting colder - and MINE - the colder the starts, the worse it runs. when it warms up, it is fine

if it dies during this cold start process, it is VERY difficult to get it started without applying the accelarator while cranking over - then it sounds like there is too much gas in the cylinders - but once the temp reaches over 100* it seems to be fine.

try to warm it up and see if it runs the way it is supposed to

and like others said - check the codes.

Problem solved. The clamp holding the air intake bridge worked lose and resulted in too much air going into the engine. Reattached the air bridge with a new clamp and car runs just fine. These things are really sensitive to the volume of air going in, too little or too much and they will not run.